NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Screenwriting Battle starts on March 4th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next Screenwriting Battle starts on March 4th
    Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:21pm
Hello,

A couple months ago I created a post asking for beta testers for a screenwriting competition in February. That competition is in progress, and I am setting up for the next one in March.

You will have 4 days to write up to a maximum of 8 pages.

What's unique about this competition is that all participants are also judges. In order to be eligible to win, not only do you have to submit a screenplay, but you also have to read, give feedback, and judge up to 6 short screenplays from your peers.

The March competition is 100% FREE. We do not ask for a credit card or any other shenanigans. There are US$400 in Amazon gift certificates to be won (split between four winners from four different genres). I am considering March an "Open Beta" so invite whoever you think might be interested.

There are 12 participants (most from these forums) in this month's battle. For March we are aiming for 36 participants!

Create an account and join the March battle

Please send any questions to admin@screenwritingbattle.com or reply to this topic.

I think Screenwriting Battle is great practice for NYC Midnight's screenplay competition coming up in the middle of March! Let's all get better together.

Edited by maxbjork - 17 Feb 2021 at 6:31pm
SSC2020 CH1 GR8: Sweep 16 (2pts)
SSC2020 CH2 GR8: Better the Snake (10 pts)
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 10:42am
I'm in! Thanks for sharing, Max Thumbs Up
Y'all are so talented!
Short Story CH1 (Political Satire)
Short Screenplay CH3 (Rom-Com)
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:34am
Awesome! Glad to have you on board, PondsandFrogs.

It's funny -- I was going through my post history and looking for people that I thought might like it, based on quality of feedback, etc. And I was actually going to PM you, but didn't want to be a pest. Haha. Believe it or not, I find self-promotion extremely difficult.

Thanks again for joining :)
eaintree View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:04pm
This looks tremendous, and screenplays are not really my thing, don't care enough to do NYCM Screenplay, but I'll do this.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

It's funny -- I was going through my post history and looking for people that I thought might like it, based on quality of feedback, etc. And I was actually going to PM you, but didn't want to be a pest. Haha. Believe it or not, I find self-promotion extremely difficult.

Well I'm glad I still found you anyway! You can also thank @TheMarkCooper for his endorsement of the contest.

I do have a question, and I was reading through the rules and whatnot. The only thing I wasn't sure of: when you "re-draw" a prompt, let's just say for example it goes from "horror, a toy store, a sword" and then I use a free re-draw and get "comedy, a tool shop, a teddy bear." If I liked the horror prompt originally, I can't go back to it, right? If I have one of those wild cards, but I'm not sure how I'd earn that in this original run. I suppose that's the risk of the re-draw? And it's possible to run out of re-draws so then you're stuck with whatever prompt you're left with, right?

-EJ
Y'all are so talented!
eaintree View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eaintree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by pondsandfrogs pondsandfrogs wrote:

Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Well I'm glad I still found you anyway! You can also thank @TheMarkCooper for his endorsement of the contest.

I do have a question, and I was reading through the rules and whatnot. The only thing I wasn't sure of: when you "re-draw" a prompt, let's just say for example it goes from "horror, a toy store, a sword" and then I use a free re-draw and get "comedy, a tool shop, a teddy bear." If I liked the horror prompt originally, I can't go back to it, right? If I have one of those wild cards, but I'm not sure how I'd earn that in this original run. I suppose that's the risk of the re-draw? And it's possible to run out of re-draws so then you're stuck with whatever prompt you're left with, right?

His rules state that you can't go back to a previous prompt, I believe, but when you re-draw it's only one of the 3 categories? i.e., if I like horror and a sword and can't be arsed with a toy store, I can just opt to switch that up.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by eaintree eaintree wrote:

His rules state that you can't go back to a previous prompt, I believe, but when you re-draw it's only one of the 3 categories? i.e., if I like horror and a sword and can't be arsed with a toy store, I can just opt to switch that up.

Appreciate the answer, @eaintree! This makes sense. I'll assume this is the way, but will see if/when Max chimes in.

I speed-read, or perhaps my reading comprehension wasn't really turned on today (need more coffee Dead)
Y'all are so talented!
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:20pm
@pondsandfrogs / @eaintree -- Yes that's right, you can't go back to previous prompts. That's the risk of a re-draw, but it's actually one draw per prompt category. So you can choose to only re-draw Genre, let's say. Or only re-draw your Place or Object card. It's up to you.

Wild cards can be exchanged for 10 battle coins. If one is played on a prompt it effectively makes that prompt "open." When played on Genre, you get to select the genre from a dropdown menu when you submit your script, or you get to type in what you want the card to say if it's used on a Place or Object prompt (when you submit your script). You can only use one wild card per battle.

Right now it is not possible to purchase battle coins with cash, and no one has enough coins to buy a wild card -- so what I did in last month's battle was give a wild card to 2 people at random. I gave a wild card to one person already, and will likely give out 2 more at random for this month. It's important that some people have them because it is in beta, and I need to test out functionality.

Oh! One more thing -- when you re-draw a prompt you are guaranteed not to get the same prompt, but it only has a history of 1, so it is possible to have toy store - *draw* - tool shop - *draw* - toy store. That's extremely unlikely though because there's a TON of prompts, but it is much more likely for the genre prompt (March's genres are only a set of 4, but eventually as we get more people it will be a set of 16). Re-drawing is always a bit of a risk. But it's surprisingly a lot of fun haha :) Maybe I'm a just a bit of a dork though...

Cheers,

-Max
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 4:38pm
I'm in! You had me at Dystopian/Apocalyptic. Smile

SSc Final Body Parts
SSt CH1 Bed of Roses
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:43pm
@catnamedeaster -- Haha yeah I asked last month's participants to vote for which genres they wanted to see next month. I think they did good! I would be all over Alternate History and Dystopian/Apocalyptic Tongue

Considering I just watched the movie Threads on Valentines Day (actually though)... it's safe to say I like a good Apocalyptic film.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic