NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie seeking wisdom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:57pm
Smarties, coffee and pizza - this combo works for me - more in the flash contest, but here too.

There should be 150 heats in the first go at it, and 5,000 writers if they fill the barn, so maybe 34 per.

The prompts are important. If you get some that you just have no idea where to go, then pick
out the most soul crushing of the three and work on it, then add in the other two once you
have found a path with it - works for me.

Hope you get as much enjoyment outa this as I do, I love the creating to the time limit,
then having other people actually read it and leave feedback, that's a hoot, writing can be such a
a lonely endevor.

Edited by Suave - 17 Jan 2020 at 9:50pm
Puckerby View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puckerby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:10pm
This is my first year doing NYC midnight - I started with Flash and loved it so much I signed up for micro, short screenplay and now this. I agree the best route is just to write something you enjoy. Firstly because  otherwise what’s the point, and secondly because there is just no way to know what the judges will like. The forums really are the best thing you’re going to get out of the contest. When I get stumped on prompts I let google be my friend and try to find something that sparks my interest - I’ve had good luck with that so far. Good luck - have fun and don’t forget to come on the forums tomorrow when you need to commiserate. :)
Wespie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wespie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 6:03am
Really useful advice, thanks very much. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic