NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Writer looking for Topics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Writer looking for Topics
    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:55pm
Hey All!

I am a rather new short story writer and I'm looking for new topics. I just discovered this site and the short story contest a little too late, but I want to write some more to hopefully prepare for next year. The last time I wrote a short story was in college when I took a writing fiction class. 

I am open to all topics. What are some of your favorite things to write about? 

Also, I have decided to make a goal for myself to write at least one short story a month for 2020. I wrote my January one early in the month, but it needs some serious editing before I post it anywhere.

Thank you, all!

Randall Linkins
Randall Linkins
May The Road You Travel Take You To Endless Possibilities
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 10:27am
A great way to get topic ideas (as well as practice for future competitions) is to go to the main page of nycm and looking at some of the assignments. They can spark all kinds of fun story ideas Smile
anemoia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anemoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 6:05pm
People watching is great for coming up with short story ideas. If you sit anywhere public (cafe, park, museum, etc.) for a little while, you start to notice some people who stand out to you. These people can spark stories from how they talk to others, what they're wearing, or how you think they're feeling.
What do we do with this anemoia?
Round 1 Story
MikeWG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 6:20am
Good luck!
vidovitz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidovitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 10:09am
There is a Writers Dice, where you roll the dice and you have to adhere to the outcome - Writer's Dice is now an app.
"You are young, but you will learn" - Mister Miyagi, Karate Kid.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 6:04am
If you're looking for competitions with prompts, there's Furious Fiction and Reedsy. And one page I follow is Writers Write, which puts up writing prompts every week.
There must be loads of others.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic