NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Rules for 100 word Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Also, double post because someone else pointed this out elsewhere... This appears to be a new rule as well:

Quote The LLC also reserves the right to deny Entry to any Entrant that has previously been named a Winner of two (2) or more competitions run by the LLC.

Winner is defined by placing among the top 3. Ummm I am not arrogant enough to think that I might win again, but I am competitive enough to HOPE for it. And the idea of losing the ability to write in one of these contests makes me physically sick to my stomach. It's not just losing the contest; it's the whole community around it.

Plus the idea that writers who have won before -- whose work I love reading -- might lose the chance to compete? I can think of at least one person who's an excellent writer who could technically be barred from entering again by these rules @_@

Ugh. Big ugh all around.

Omg I just read this! WTF, that's some BS. Community is the biggest thing in this contest! Why would they do that?! I'm totally fine with having a great writer win a few times in a row. It means I get to enjoy reading more of their work and gain the benefit of their critique. And like, it might even feel less special to win knowing that some of NYC's best writers might be barred from entry on a given year. 

I'm not loving these new rules (other than the AI one)

I just read the screenwriting rules and regs for the one that is coming up, scroll down to 18 and 19.
The whole bit about the judges is a little worrying. I did not find the same hold back before putting on blogs and such though as the 100 word.
Zero11 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Zero11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:12am
Could the 30 day ban on publishing have more to do with their AI detection system? For instance, if one publishes on social media during the judging period, it could technically train ChatGPT. In my mind, this seems more the rationale. I have a feeling other journals and such will do the same. 

I personally don’t mind having a winner re-enter a contest. It makes the challenge of beating him or her more sweet. But I have seen other contests that prohibit re-entry for a period of time to give emerging writers a chance. I have no problem with that, either. 
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 8:28am
Oh wow, I was fine with it but that is a really good point about the forums. And them not publishing their pay rate in advance. So - they need to do that. And clarify about the forum because especially for the 100 word, the forums are a major part of the fun of all of this. My fave forum review one! It's easy to read a ton of them, given the length.

I am personally fine with previous winners being allowed to re-enter. I get that it can mean that the same person keeps winning (hey, he is REALLY REALLY GOOD - I'm talking about screenwriting). I'd just like to make the finals someday ... 

Edited by BarbaraFL - 09 Mar 2023 at 8:29am
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 1:57pm
I've never won 1st, but I have placed 2nd overall in two competitions. Does that mean I'm no longer allowed to participate? And if so, I guess I want my entry fee back, for this contest as well as the SSC that I'm currently in.

Edited by Jhill - 09 Mar 2023 at 8:06pm
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Zero11 Zero11 wrote:

Could the 30 day ban on publishing have more to do with their AI detection system? For instance, if one publishes on social media during the judging period, it could technically train ChatGPT. In my mind, this seems more the rationale. I have a feeling other journals and such will do the same. 

This is a really good point about Ai detecting that I haven’t seen raised elsewhere. If this is the case then NYCM really should spell it out. If they are planning on publishing winning stories from early rounds, then they need to specify what they will pay for stories they choose to publish (even in NYCM credit/ discount for next comp would be nice). They published the top 10 micro100 on the website previously doing a countdown to the top story, that was nice, but precludes them from publishing elsewhere. 

Everything I have read so far doesn’t prevent the forum posting, but it does change the way you might be allowed to post. I use googledocs and share the link in the forum (which should be ok because you restrict it to people who can access that link). But I have seen others post it on their own website, or blog, and that will now be banned

Edited by jimiflan2 - 09 Mar 2023 at 2:36pm
NMiller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

I've never won 1st, but I have placed 2nd overall in two competitions. Does that mean I'm no longer allowed to participate? And if so, I guess I want my entry fee back, for this contest as well as the SSC that I'm currently in.

And also, a steep entry fee for a contest that will hold my story hostage for up to 3 months? 

First CONGRATS! That is amazing!
Second: I would bring it up to NYCM, clearly this would have to be going forward otherwise how could they take anyone's money who has a chance to win, if they already won twice! They really should consider clarifying this rule or doing as other say, giving a time limit (like not that specific contest for a year but others ok) rather than an all out never compete on all options clause.

I want to see your stories and the  stories of other successful writes. I want to learn and grow from the exchange!
Pages View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 2:57pm
Incoming unpopular opinion...

I'm okay with people being banned after winning two contests, BUT, the ban should only be for the contests that are won and for a specific amount of time (two years, maybe).

Actually, a clarification I'd like to see is: if you won, you are prohibited from participating in that challenge the following year. After that, you can participate again.
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Pages Pages wrote:

Incoming unpopular opinion...

I'm okay with people being banned after winning two contests, BUT, the ban should only be for the contests that are won and for a specific amount of time (two years, maybe).

Actually, a clarification I'd like to see is: if you won, you are prohibited from participating in that challenge the following year. After that, you can participate again.

I wouldn't have a problem with this. But I think they need to clarify what constitutes a win. Do the people in the top 10 all have to sit out a year? Or just the 1st place winner? 

NYCM has the right to handle their contest however they want (obviously), but I'm really disappointed to see that, as it stands today, I can't participate anymore. 
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 4:07pm
I received a fast and helpful clarification from NYCM regarding participation. Someone would be ineligible if they won 1st place, two times, in the same competition. They would still be able to participate in the other competitions. Hope that helps!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

I received a fast and helpful clarification from NYCM regarding participation. Someone would be ineligible if they won 1st place, two times, in the same competition. They would still be able to participate in the other competitions. Hope that helps!

Yup, that is good. They need to update the rules and regs to say that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>