NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Never won, but finally published

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote laritybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Never won, but finally published
    Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:40am
Since 2019, I've done 6 NYCM competitions - 2019 Micro, 2020 short story, 2020 screenplay, 2020 micro 250, 2020 micro 100, and now 2021 micro 100. So far, I've made it to the final round once, and only scored first in my heat once during a 1st round. Every single round gave me utterly scathing reviews. 

BUT

Since July 2020, I've been published with NYCM stories three times: 

My 2nd round 2019 250 Micro was published in the Lucky Jefferson (it placed 4th I wanna say), and my 1st round 2020 Short story (which placed 1st) came out in Havik: Journal of Literature and Arts this month and will be reprinted in another lit rag this coming November. 

All told, I've spent something like $90 on NYCM entrance fees and made about that much publishing the stories I've generated from them. No it's not a lot, but it feels good to break even. 

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:22am
That is impressive!
I have been entering everything cept the 100, well the first couple 
of years I did not enter the screenwriting comps.
Never tried to get anything published, know lots of people that
have, and quite a few that sold them. I am not that industrious, haha.
I am planning self publishing a collection, maybe just a vanity run
that I will give away at Christmas or something.
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 3:50am
Originally posted by laritybug laritybug wrote:

...Since July 2020, I've been published with NYCM stories three times...

Congratulations! I just started entering last year, haven't tried to be published anywhere else as yet. But I think the standard here is amazing!
Actually, if I'd read last year's MF-100 top ten before I entered, I'd probably have been too intimidated to try. So I'm glad I didn't!
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:03am
That's awesome! Congrats, and thanks for sharing!
NMiller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:09am
Congratulations!! That's awesome! 
mirandak View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirandak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:25am
Hi! I'm so glad you shared this: it makes me so happy for you, and it provides inspiration for the rest of us. I have three pieces I'm proud of from the 2020 NYC 250-word micro that I have been revising based on the judge's helpful feedback. I plan to start submitting them places soon. You have given me the kick in the butt I needed.

Again, congrats and happy writing!

Edited by mirandak - 16 May 2021 at 8:26am
Miranda K
R1,100: Happy Hour
FR,250: Sorry
OLL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 3:56pm
Howdy. That is sooooo great to hear of your success. I started in 2020 with my first ever competition at NYC M 100 word MF and it was so exhilarating. I then did the 250 word MF and the Flash Fiction (1,000 word short story). It really was great to get some feedback with every story. I think it helps boil down the creative juices, focus, helps you step out of the comfort zone and moves you forward as a writer (in my humble opinion). 

Congratulations anyway and keep on going. I look forward to reading some of your published work. 

OLL

Edited by OLL - 16 May 2021 at 3:58pm
OLL
Read my 1st Round 2021, 100-word story titled Unsalted Truth
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 5:56pm
Congratulations! I got my 250 R1 piece, The Physics of Grace, accepted in Chatauqua Journal, after editing following some great thoughts in the forum and also from the judges. NYCM has been a great experience for me.
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Frefallr Frefallr wrote:

Congratulations! I got my 250 R1 piece, The Physics of Grace, accepted in Chatauqua Journal, after editing following some great thoughts in the forum and also from the judges. NYCM has been a great experience for me.

Hello Frefallr,

Congratulations on getting your story published. My 250 R1 story is being published by Daily Science Fiction. I didn't change a word of it. I think it works as is. I think I saw you in the MF 100. Good luck! Looking forward to reading your work.

Congratulations also to the other writers posting here on their publishing achievements. It makes a huge difference to get rewarded for your creativity. Clap Long may it continue!!

Nim.

NMiller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Frefallr Frefallr wrote:

Congratulations!!! Such a great story and so excited to hear it will get a wider audience!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>