NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Never Done This Before

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 8:14pm
Thank you fellow writers for the software tips! I really appreciate the support of this welcoming community!

Ps less than 3 hours until prompts! 
Emmageek View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmageek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by EMeadows EMeadows wrote:

My first time trying to write a screenplay, too. I'm excited and nervous but like to challenge myself whenever possible. I was going to just use Word. Is that acceptable? Thank you and good luck to everyone with the prompts tonight! 

Word is not the best due to the formatting issues.  Writer's Duet, Final Draft, MMSW may have a free version you can use.

There's a couple more out there that can be tweaked for screenplay formatting.

ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by AshJanie AshJanie wrote:

I've never written a screenplay before but I joined the new challenge anyway. I'm using Writterduet so I think I'll be okay. Any tips you can share would be appreciated, though.

Sorry, this is kind of late for a response but just thought I'd offer a few things to keep in mind - Always remember you can only write what the "movie audience" can see and hear. So you can't write that characters wished they'd done something or hoped for something, etc. If you want the audience to know the character wished things could be different you have to show it through their expressions or flashbacks or something like that.

Also remember if your characters don't call each other by name when they're first on screen, the audience won't know who they are. I wrote a whole script once about a family that was being helped by their ghost daughter and I didn't want the audience to know she was a ghost until the end so I referred to her by her name in the script but nobody in the script ever said her name out loud so at the end of the story the big reveal was to show a gravestone with the girl's name on it but it was pointed out to me on this forum that the audience would never know the headstone was for the child because no one ever said her name out loud so the audience would have never known it.

I hope that makes sense. Good luck Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic