NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NaNoWriMo 2020, anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by amlewi08 amlewi08 wrote:

Shew, I tell you what--hat's off to all of y'all who can pump out 50,000 words in a month.  That is impressive!

It's just not my creative process, I write very slowly and (if we're being honestly) fairly infrequently, and then I agonize over every other word--is it pretty enough?  Is it cohesive? The benefits of hobby writing I suppose. haha.

If I may ask, and I'm sorry if it's already been discussed (just tell me to not be a lazy butt and scan the topic if that's the case. haha), but how are you all able to do it?  Is it blind stubborn obligation? is it for the pure joy of it? Is it expert time management? I must know!

For me it's readily doable because I have no job. I always have creative projects going on, like writing and trying to make money at woodworking, etc., etc., but I can clear the decks for a month in a way that would be much harder for anyone who's employed and/or raising kids. And there's always the dream that after I write the NaNovel, I'll submit it to agents and get it published. Who knows? It could happen, and that drives me, as does a love of creating a new novel!! I also love the discipline of it and how I try to kick it into gear if there's a word-count deficit due to life happening. My focus this year is going to be on writing quality passages without rushing to tell the whole story. I have no clue how many words the NaNovel will wind up with, but instead of rushing to get the plot down, I want to focus on quality writing. 1,667 words a day isn't hard for me, but if I fall behind (which can happen at anytime and for any conceivable reason), it becomes hard. I don't try to create a higher word count in order to have a word bank because writing more than 1,667 words is hard and I try to avoid it unless I'm playing catch-up. (The 3-day novella event I did recently fried my brain.) But anyway, long story short, I'm not sure I'd be able to win NaNoWriMo if I had major life obligations. 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:25pm

Shew, I tell you what--hat's off to all of y'all who can pump out 50,000 words in a month.  That is impressive!

It's just not my creative process, I write very slowly and (if we're being honestly) fairly infrequently, and then I agonize over every other word--is it pretty enough?  Is it cohesive? The benefits of hobby writing I suppose. haha.

If I may ask, and I'm sorry if it's already been discussed (just tell me to not be a lazy butt and scan the topic if that's the case. haha), but how are you all able to do it?  Is it blind stubborn obligation? is it for the pure joy of it? Is it expert time management? I must know!

I have no illusions of "winning." The best I've ever done in NaNo is 34k words. I simply use it as a way to keep me motivated on a longform project, trying to write as often as possible. I manage a very busy, cutting edge robotics company and it's just not emotionally possible for me to write every single day. But I try to cultivate the habit of making time as often as possible!
rthomas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:51pm
Hi! Yes, please add me! My username is rmtv. I've got a good outline going for a series of short stories; will really appreciate the community aspect keeping me going! 

Can we start a NYC Midnight writing group over there? I don't know the site that well since this is my first year actually doing it, but maybe some veterans will have a sense of how to organize us!

Edited by rthomas - 15 Oct 2020 at 8:11pm
yubsie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yubsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by kolohe kolohe wrote:

I use 4thewords! It gamifies writing, which works marvelously for my brain. Since I started using it, I've written a minimum of 444 words every day for 289 days (today will be day 290 lol), and my overall daily and monthly wordcounts have shot up dramatically. But it's also fab because on the days where I don't feel like writing, it sort of forces me to write the minimum 444 words that are required to maintain my streak lol, which is probably where the stubbornness you mention comes in Wink

I find 4thewords SUPER useful. Sometimes just sitting down to "Okay, I'm going to do 250 words to beat this monster" and then oh hey I'm kinda in a groove I'm going to keep going. I'm on a 117 day streak and since I started using it I've managed just shy of 100k words, including actually finishing last year's NaNo project (I won but the story was more than 50k words).
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by rthomas rthomas wrote:

Hi! Yes, please add me! My username is rmtv. I've got a good outline going for a series of short stories; will really appreciate the community aspect keeping me going! 

Can we start a NYC Midnight writing group over there? I don't know the site that well since this is my first year actually doing it, but maybe some veterans will have a sense of how to organize us!

I'm terrible at maneuvering their forums! They confuse me!! But this is a great idea, so hopefully someone in the know will come along!! I sent you an invite!! Smile
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by velocisarah velocisarah wrote:

Originally posted by JanetM JanetM wrote:

I'm planning on doing it! This year I'm editing my novel from last year's Nanowrimo. I hope it will get me focused on finishing. We'll see! haha. 

I really enjoyed doing it last year. It will be a little different in 2020 without the community write-ins.

I'd love to be friends with any NYCMidnight peeps. I'm JanetM97 on there. :)

Added you! And congrats on making through to Round 3 btw!! Loved your story.

I'm velocisarah over there for any other nycm nanoers :) 

Thank you! and added you back! Here's to an inspiring November! :)
Ch3 Gr7 Flash
Deep Calming Breaths

The Red Lion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Red Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:58pm
I signed up for NaNo once a longgggg time ago but never actually participated. I made a new account this year and am considering giving it a go... But I’m struggling to get 2k words/week right now let alone 1.6k/day! Oyy... I’m hoping it’ll help me work on my pantsing skills. Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic