NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NaNoWriMo 2020, anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

I remember that pep talk! 

Ah yes, like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives...

And also add me too if we aren't already buddies: ChrissieM

Great! I sent you an invite!! I see we both like Megan Miranda. I love her Hysteria book. 

I INHALED so many of her books this year. Loved that one. 
FFC #1: Beneath the Surface 6pts
FFC #2: Protocol Twenty-Seven 14 pts
FFC #3: Final Girl
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:21pm

I INHALED so many of her books this year. Loved that one. 

Definitely. Anytime you combine atmosphere with a mystery, I'm hooked. She's one of my role models for novel writing. 
lnLala View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lnLala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:54pm
I haven't actually tried NaNo (other than camp) in a few years. I am in. I may be a rebel and attempt a flash collection. 50k words of flash is a LOT of stories in a month, which would be fun!

I tried to change my username, but that is apparently not a thing that is done there. Feel free to add me: dow_76. 
FF2020 Ch2 Gr107 Never Trust a Nixie
psyche View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote psyche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:12am
I feel you! I read it and get it. I get what she's going for too, but... yeah. 
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 9:35am
I'm planning on doing it! This year I'm editing my novel from last year's Nanowrimo. I hope it will get me focused on finishing. We'll see! haha. 

I really enjoyed doing it last year. It will be a little different in 2020 without the community write-ins.

I'd love to be friends with any NYCMidnight peeps. I'm JanetM97 on there. :)
Ch3 Gr7 Flash
Deep Calming Breaths

velocisarah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote velocisarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 9:39am
Originally posted by JanetM JanetM wrote:

I'm planning on doing it! This year I'm editing my novel from last year's Nanowrimo. I hope it will get me focused on finishing. We'll see! haha. 

I really enjoyed doing it last year. It will be a little different in 2020 without the community write-ins.

I'd love to be friends with any NYCMidnight peeps. I'm JanetM97 on there. :)

Added you! And congrats on making through to Round 3 btw!! Loved your story.

I'm velocisarah over there for any other nycm nanoers :) 
FFC R2G88 Horror Eat Thereof
FFC R1G88 SciFi The Lap of LUXury
yubsie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yubsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:30pm
I'm doing it this year! I'm trying to finish the second draft of my project from three years back (didn't win, it only actually hit 50k in this second draft, but I got words done then!) before it starts. I skipped one year so last year was the first time I actually won (Wrote 5800 words the last day, but I won!).

I'm working on another science fiction project this year. I'm actually using some characters I created for last year's flash fiction competition because I don't really know what to do with the story (what market even takes "crime caper"?) but I really liked the characters.

My username over there is also Yubsie because I'm nothing if not consistent.
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 1:27pm
Shew, I tell you what--hat's off to all of y'all who can pump out 50,000 words in a month.  That is impressive!

It's just not my creative process, I write very slowly and (if we're being honestly) fairly infrequently, and then I agonize over every other word--is it pretty enough?  Is it cohesive? The benefits of hobby writing I suppose. haha.

If I may ask, and I'm sorry if it's already been discussed (just tell me to not be a lazy butt and scan the topic if that's the case. haha), but how are you all able to do it?  Is it blind stubborn obligation? is it for the pure joy of it? Is it expert time management? I must know!

velocisarah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velocisarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by amlewi08 amlewi08 wrote:

Shew, I tell you what--hat's off to all of y'all who can pump out 50,000 words in a month.  That is impressive!

It's just not my creative process, I write very slowly and (if we're being honestly) fairly infrequently, and then I agonize over every other word--is it pretty enough?  Is it cohesive? The benefits of hobby writing I suppose. haha.

If I may ask, and I'm sorry if it's already been discussed (just tell me to not be a lazy butt and scan the topic if that's the case. haha), but how are you all able to do it?  Is it blind stubborn obligation? is it for the pure joy of it? Is it expert time management? I must know!

For me, it's just habit building essentially, mixed with stuffing my inner-editor as far to the back of my mind as I can that month. I've won a handful of times, and every time it's combination of doing well at the start to keep a positive attitude and keeping to consistent habits.

(And mapping out my story ahead of time, but that's just because I'm very far on the planner side.)

I do writing sprints, so I set a timer, write as fast as I can, and if I'm writing with others I announce my word counts and we compare and congratulate or commiserate. If I do a good 30 minutes, I can get 1,000 words or so. That means I can get my daily word count for NaNo (1,667) in about an hour and a half or so every day, that's not too bad!

Finding a community of people (like locally in your region or online) also helps a ton because you feel "in it" with others.
FFC R2G88 Horror Eat Thereof
FFC R1G88 SciFi The Lap of LUXury
kolohe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolohe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by amlewi08 amlewi08 wrote:

I use 4thewords! It gamifies writing, which works marvelously for my brain. Since I started using it, I've written a minimum of 444 words every day for 289 days (today will be day 290 lol), and my overall daily and monthly wordcounts have shot up dramatically. But it's also fab because on the days where I don't feel like writing, it sort of forces me to write the minimum 444 words that are required to maintain my streak lol, which is probably where the stubbornness you mention comes in Wink

Edited by kolohe - 15 Oct 2020 at 9:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic