NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NaNoWriMo 2020, anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KLNorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:47pm
First timer for NaNoWriMo here. I have a book that I should be pushing a final edit on, but why not procrastinate with a shiny new story? KLNorman is my user name there and here 🙂
allimax View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote allimax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 1:36pm
I want to do it so badly. I’ve been thinking about doing it for the last decade, or at least it feels like it. I have so many life changes coming up in November, but I think there’s always an excuse... Maybe if I set a lower total word count for myself, I could still participate and at least get *something* done. Has anybody else done that? 

My biggest hurdle would probably be letting go of the self-editing along the way. It would probably be a great exercise to get over that issue, *just write*, and not look back. 
FF3
FF2
FF1 15pts
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Do you all remember how irate I was two years ago over one of their pep talks?

I remember because I agreed with you. I'm going to work on a project this year. But deleting the pep talks. Instead, I'll just revel in the cheerleading that goes on in my cabin. I have no expectation on "winning" but using it as an excuse to concentrate on a single, longform project and hopefully build a habit of writing every day.

Good luck everyone! Write all the words!

Edited to add: feel free to find me. User name: MM Schreier Let's buddy up!

Edited by nod1v1ng - 13 Oct 2020 at 8:04pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 8:41pm
Oh wow, thanks!! In retrospect, I was really unhappy about life in general during that NaNoWriMo, and so that peptalk hit me at the exact wrong time, but now it seems funny when I think about it. Big smile Hey, you never know, you might win NaNoWriMo! (Did that rhyme?) I sent you an invite on their site! (Geez with the rhyming!) Go us!! Let's write to glory!! Clap
psyche View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psyche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 7:24pm
Okay, I am very curious as to what content the angering pep talk had. 

I'm considering NaNo even though I'm not technically allowing myself. I want to write my shiny new idea, but I'm on a final-final draft of another manuscript that I'm supposed to finalize and shop to agents! (If I don't get into Pitch Wars, that is). 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 7:31pm
Thanks for asking! Big smile I can find a link... hold on!! Here it is!! I just got really upset because I HATE the word Censored and she used it ten--count 'em, ten--times. It also portrayed a dismal and bleak view of the creative process by saying it Censored ten times. 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 7:40pm

Thanks for asking! Big smile I can find a link... hold on!! Here it is!! I just got really upset because I HATE the word Censored and she used it ten--count 'em, ten--times. It also portrayed a dismal and bleak view of the creative process by saying it Censored ten times. 

Agreed. I got the essence of what she was trying to say, but there's a big difference between doing something hard, but satisfying and torturing yourself with something that s*&$s. We all know writing is hard, sometimes terribly frustrating. That there are ups and downs, but totally dismissing the creative process as completely dismal is not going to inspire anyone, in my opinion. Even when it's hard, perhaps because it is hard, I find that it makes me feel good, feel challenged, feel like I am doing something worthwhile... If it were easy, everyone would do it!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 7:59pm
Amen!!! Hear, hear!! Yeah, I was so put off by it, ya know? It sounded like, "I hate my job, and I take my success for granted! So there!" After that, whenever I'd see her book in the bookstore, I'd sort of roll my eyes. And it's terrible to diss creativity, especially when you're successful at it! I was like... ConfusedOuch
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Do you all remember how irate I was two years ago over one of their pep talks?

Edited to add: feel free to find me. User name: MM Schreier Let's buddy up!

I remember that pep talk! 

And also add me too if we aren't already buddies: ChrissieM
FFC #1: Beneath the Surface 6pts
FFC #2: Protocol Twenty-Seven 14 pts
FFC #3: Final Girl
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

I remember that pep talk! 

Ah yes, like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives...

Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

And also add me too if we aren't already buddies: ChrissieM

Great! I sent you an invite!! I see we both like Megan Miranda. I love her Hysteria book. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic