NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first book just got published!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsaether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first book just got published!
    Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 4:11pm
It's available as both kindle download and paperback. 

I wrote it to amuse myself and my 11 year old daughter (I started when she was 9...).  I honestly tried to make it both funny and compelling for both kids and adults.  There are a ton of literary jokes, metaphors, kid jokes, and 80's-nostalagia in-jokes. I did my best to follow old-fashioned serial novels, so most chapters end on a cliff-hanger. It's 44k words, aimed at a roughly 6th grade reading level.

As always, I'd love to get everyone's feedback.

If you've got Kindle Unlimited, it's free.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HGPZ3D9

The blurb:

McKeyla just wanted to have lunch with her new friend Otto at Shelly’s Soda Shoppe—the best soda fountain in the world for hot sandwiches, cold root beer floats, and... international conspiracies. Suddenly they are skateboarding for their lives from a notorious clown assassin, infiltrating underground lairs, and protecting the secrets of a covert league of heroic librarians, all while still having to endure the taunts of the popular kids during regular school hours. It will take every trick they’ve got up their sleeves, but with a little luck and a lot of courage, they might just save the world by dinnertime.

Ice Cream for a Clown overflows with intrigue, grit, adventure, joy, and delightfully quirky jokes. It’s that rare book that parents and kids will enjoy reading together. Ice Cream for A Clown is the first novel by D.J. Sæther and volume one in The Soda Fountain Conspiracies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HGPZ3D9
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 6:43pm
Congratulations! Sounds like a fun romp!
north_north_west View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote north_north_west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 7:40pm
That is fantastic = congratulations to you!  The cover looks great and when I click through, the first few pages read very nicely.  

I hope it does well!
north_north_west
MFC R2 2020 Bad Address. Past Due
FFC R1 2020 Jack and the King of Shadows

ajens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ajens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 1:09am
Congrats, what a great accomplishment!  I got a kick out of your reviews on the back cover.   Excited to read it.  

Edited by ajens - 12 Sep 2020 at 1:14am
FF20 R2G78 Fantasy/VotingBooth/Toy Train
THE COST OF A SELFLESS CAUSE

jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 2:36pm
Congrats! that is a great acheivement
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 3:49pm
Great job!! YAY!! Beer
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:41pm
Congratulations! So exciting!
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 hours 22 minutes ago at 10:28am
congratulations!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic