NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most interesting thing you googled for your story
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most interesting thing you googled for your story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katenotwills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:09pm
I googled the top gender neutral names for my story and settled on Rowan and Emery! 
lorajmclaughlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lorajmclaughlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 11:08am
I typically figure out what year my character was born and go find the most popular baby names from that year.  For a main character, I typically pick something in the top 50 but not the top ten, and for side characters, I use a lot of top 10-20.  It just adds a layer of realism?  And if I can't find anything I like there, I punt.  I kinda like your method of tying the meaning into the story better.
WhistlerCrowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 11:15am
Today it is "Slaughter of American Buffalo in the 1800s".

Look at this picture, y'all. Heartbreaking. 

U.S. Buffalo Slaughter Summarized In One Shocking Photo (allthatsinteresting.com)

The sheer scope of this and its simultaneous effect in the decimation of Native Americans' traditional way of life and SO many Native deaths is absolutely awful and makes me sick to my stomach. Greed is a horrible, awful thing. 

Edited by WhistlerCrowe - 28 Jan 2023 at 11:15am
Kimberly June View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberly June Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 12:35pm
The Line Saudi Arabia

This project fascinates and terrifies me all at the same time 
LilyCat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Kimberly June Kimberly June wrote:

The Line Saudi Arabia

This project fascinates and terrifies me all at the same time 

Ooooooh yes. It's so, so many things all at once.

For me it was trying to place my setting in a location, finding the location I wanted does exist, finding photos and maps of the place, and having all that to work with. I had at least two dozen tabs open for this story. Closed half of them last night.
N_Minaker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_Minaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 3:44pm
French slang for "penis"
MagsWrites View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MagsWrites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

I like to think that, somewhere in Google HQ, they play a game based on people's search histories called 'serial killer or writer?'

If they don't - I am writing a not for NYCM story on this LOL
MagsWrites View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MagsWrites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:28pm
Thus far (as I am still writing and this is my brain break) my google searches have been 

-how can you add brass knuckles to evening gloves
-how can you make evening gloves into sap gloves
-what are the standard size and weight of brass knuckles
-when were brass knuckles invented
-what was the standard  size of a woman's formal evening purse in the 1940's
-what were the biggest political scandals in the 1950s
-which politicians wives have had to been placed under protective services due to their gossip habits
miketkerr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miketkerr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:32pm
Ah jeez, I already am forgetting but I spent a helluva lotta time reading about the solar eclipse over Winnipeg in 1979, which led me down a rabbithole of finding out about the 'coldest intersection in Canada' and when the city of Winnipeg built an underground walkway to avoid said intersection. It's Portage and Main, if anybody's curious. I then went way back down the rabbithole on arcade cabinets and how they're built, and now have a ton of scanned pdfs of schematics I can't read saved to my computer. But you never know when an operational manual for Boot Hill will come in handy.
sally316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:36pm
My genre is historical fiction and reservist was one of my prompts so I googled women in the military reserves and learned all about the WAVES in the 1940s.  It was super interesting to learn how WW2 played a part in women getting out of the home and into workplaces previously reserved for men.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>