NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Contests Like This One?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adriao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Contests Like This One?
    Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 3:42pm
Hey all! Does anyone know of any writing contests like NYC midnight? Seems like most writing contests just have you submit any old story at all. I'm looking for contests where they give prompts.

Thanks! Smile
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 4:00pm
Fiction War. 

It's quarterly, costs about the same as NYCM, but no online community, no judge feedback, and no concept of how many other entrants you're up against.

But, yes, they give you a prompt.

Past prompts: "Next in Line"
And: "One Perfect Moment"

That's it. 1000 words. No genre. No subject. Just you and the phrase.

Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 5:37pm
They also have the Atom Bomb contest, 100-word fiction. You can submit multiple entries, and he winner takes home 5000$.

Caveat: they aren't known for the expediency of their reward-handling... not that I've won anything... But yeah. Best to know, I guess.

Edited by Zblugg - 28 Mar 2018 at 5:37pm
FFR1G48 Camp Hope
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:34pm
FFC20 R1 Born of the Sea
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by GallifreyGirl GallifreyGirl wrote:

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/regrets_topic16800_post206645.html

Could you at least post individual links?!
Rosie J View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 8:33pm
Thanks for this! Fiction War sounds great :D
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:29pm
And Fiction War's last-minute entry fee is way cheaper than this one's early bird. 1000 words, though...eek. That is NOTHING. Of course, I say this, but I had a romance with a deadline immediately after round one here that had a MINIMUM of 7000 words, and after doing 2500 here I found myself having to remember NOT to pare everything down. I barely squeaked in 7100. The editors bought it, so they were okay with that, but I'm kind of hoping the edit requests include "Can you expand a couple scenes?" 

Oh, well, this starts after the reader period for what I'm working on now opens so I'll have current story done and hopefully the 'backup' as well. What the heck...
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
Ch2 Gr 21: The Spy Who Came in For The Cake
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Originally posted by GallifreyGirl GallifreyGirl wrote:

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/regrets_topic16800_post206645.html

Could you at least post individual links?!

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
FFC20 R1 Born of the Sea
BarrieLake View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarrieLake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 9:44am
Someone (can't remember who) mentioned the Sci-Fi London competition in another thread:

http://48hour.sci-fi-london.com/challenge/48-hour-flash-fiction-2018

Its my first time entering so can't speak about it from experience, but this is what I know:
  • It's happening next weekend.
  • It's open to contestants from around the world, not just London.
  • It's completely free to enter.
  • Genre of your story has to be Science Fiction.
  • 48 hrs to write up to 2000 words
  • As far as I can tell there isn't a community element like we've got with NYCM. They do have a hashtag for Twitter, though.
  • Prizes: a bag of goodies (?) and winning stories are published in an anthology and get an audio recording.

But my absolute favourite thing about the competition is its prompts.

Each contestant gets: (sorry, I love bullets)

• A unique title, so there's less chance your story will be too similar to the other entrants' stories.
  • A piece of dialogue which must be incorporated into the story.
  • An optional scientific idea or theme which you can choose to incorporate or not.
It sounds like a blast to me, and I haven't written Sci-Fi before so I'm glad that the prompts give you so much to work with. I'm really, really excited for next weekend.

Edited by BarrieLake - 29 Mar 2018 at 9:47am
2018 Short Story, Round 1, Heat 116: Midnight Contracts
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 10:34am
I did SciFi London last year, and while I didn’t win anything, I did sell my story later. I’m in again this year!

Last year my prompts were Title— “Where We Left Lily” and Line of Dialogue— “They are quite strong so you might want to just take one for now.” Optional Science: “3D printed human body parts are possible - muscle, veins, bone. They don't HAVE to be 'conventional’.”

Edited by TheDustyZebra - 29 Mar 2018 at 10:34am
100MF2020 R1 G26 If at First You Don't Succeed (Historical Fiction)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic