NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micro scores?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodpijn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Micro scores?
    Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 6:19am
I didn't get through to round 2 for Micro.

I got some nice feedback (better than I was expecting; I've seen some horror stories on the forums about judges who didn't seem to have read people's stories or didn't understand them). 

But I didn't get told my score. I was expecting to find out my overall score, and its breakdown (what they rated me highly on and what areas I lost marks on), and the scores of my heat-mates who did go through, so I could see whether I missed out narrowly or by a long way.

Edited by woodpijn - 26 Nov 2019 at 6:19am
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 6:58am
Haha!  This has been discussed many times. unfortunately, the powers that be don't want to provide this kind of scoring, or it is too much to ask of the judges - would be great.
My thought was to at least have each judge list how he scored the story in percentages for the three areas they are supposed to be using to judge the stories.
However, they did did start numbering the judges so that the judges could be held responsible for their comments - this was a big leap forward.
brianosull View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianosull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

My thought was to at least have each judge list how he scored the story in percentages for the three areas they are supposed to be using to judge the stories.

I like this idea. 

By the way, are these the three areas that you mention?:

"15% Format (Adherence to paragraph #14, but not including Length) 
15% Spelling and Grammar 
70% Story (Writing, Originality, Character Development, and Plot Development) "

I pasted that in from a post about the Flash Fiction contest. I feel like the "format" category, as defined here, doesn't apply as much to the Micro contest, where there's no synopsis and we're all just pasting unformatted text into a window. Also, if they were to do as you suggest, I think it would be useful if they would break down that all-encompassing "story" category into 2-4 separate categories.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 10:23am
Originally posted by brianosull brianosull wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I like this idea. 

By the way, are these the three areas that you mention?:

"15% Format (Adherence to paragraph #14, but not including Length) 
15% Spelling and Grammar 
70% Story (Writing, Originality, Character Development, and Plot Development) "

I pasted that in from a post about the Flash Fiction contest. I feel like the "format" category, as defined here, doesn't apply as much to the Micro contest, where there's no synopsis and we're all just pasting unformatted text into a window. Also, if they were to do as you suggest, I think it would be useful if they would break down that all-encompassing "story" category into 2-4 separate categories.

Yes, would be nice.
ruagray View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ruagray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 10:53am
Originally posted by woodpijn woodpijn wrote:

[...], so I could see whether I missed out narrowly or by a long way.

Considering the subjectivity of human opinion, I would think about whether it matters what your 'official' placement in group was. Maybe there was a 30-way tie for 14th place based on whatever grading rubric is used. Whether you were slotted 14th or 50th, it's entirely possibly you only missed out narrowly. Other than generally being a bit of an emotional blow, would it matter much?

You have already taken the step to participate in a contest like this one, putting forth money, time, and effort. That's farther down the path of writing than many people muster the courage to go. The fact that you completed a story within the time limit with such restrictions is already a feat worthy of congratulations.

I would just assume that you placed 14th, think about what you liked and didn't like about your story and other people's stories, and move forward from there Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic