NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micro Fiction Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 9:02am
Last year nothing in Round One of micro, this year: first place. Woohoo! 

Good luck to everyone writing this weekend and congrats! For everyone else: Next Year's Micro! (hopefully written in a movie theatre or maskless on a train)
Ch2 Gr16 Micro
Fireballs at Bonfires

AubreyZahn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AubreyZahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:02am
Didn't place, not even an HM. *womp womp.* Obviously a bit disappointed, but it was a mad talented group of competitors. Congrats to all who placed! Will definitely stick around to read the next round of entries on the forum. Smile
EMeadows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:04am
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

Originally posted by EMeadows EMeadows wrote:

Thank you! I've searched all folders and don't have it. Now I'm worried my assignment email won't come tomorrow night. 

At least for that one the information will be posted here: http://www.nycmidnight.com/Competitions/MFC/250/Challenge.htm

You'll be able to check in... 42.5 hours? (I can't math right now, but it's posted on the linked page in case I eff'd that up).

What you wouldn't get if there is an issue with your email is the feedback from the judges. If that's of concern to you, it might be worth making an inquiry.

Thank you so much! Great point about the feedback. I have just sent an email off to the feedback email address. I really appreciate the tips!
north_north_west View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote north_north_west Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:17am
Nice going!
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:10am

7th place for me. Not outstanding, but better than the 10th place I got in R1 last year. Look at me, I'm improving at micro! Clap

It's supposed to be cold and snowy here this weekend. Perfect weather for snuggling in and writing! 
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:03pm
2nd in my group, yay! Onward!

Out of all the competitions, I've decided I like the 250 microchallenge the best. 100 word is too short, and the flash fiction/short story challenges take up the whole weekend. This challenge is perfect. For me, anyway. :)
ophelialit74 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:03pm
What have I learned? That RomCom is my kryptonite...just as I suspected! This is the first time in my NYC Midnight career that I haven't moved past the first round of a challenge, but I saw it coming a mile away once I was placed in the RomCom group...I was hoping fervently for Thriller or Horror. One of the judges told me my story was more "creepy than romantic." Hahaha! Well, if that doesn't just say it all! LOL
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 3:43pm
More 'creepy than romantic'? That's certainly a... concrete observation? I'm at a loss for what the judge thought was going on in the story.

I only glossed my feedback. It was pretty tepid, but in a completely harmless sort of way. I don't mind it; judge's feedback isn't a draw for me, so as long as it isn't irritating (like asking for things that would never fit the word count), I'm good.

What the judges liked: you wrote a story.
What the judges didn't like: you could have written it differently.

(It wasn't actually that bland, but close). 
Tickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 7:47pm
My romance stories always have a weird element. I find it very hard to write. I got Sci fi in the first round and I managed to get 8th so fingers crossed I get an interesting genre this weekend. 
terrilynn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrilynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 7:56pm
My longest "things to improve" feedback was to make mine shorter. Another wanted me to reveal the twist sooner (?) But overall, it was very positive and I've had a silly smile all day. I need to get my work done to clear out Saturday. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic