NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micro 250 R2 Post Submission Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Micro 250 R2 Post Submission Bar
    Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:33pm

Yeah! You submitted a tiny little story. Now pull up a chair, and have a drink with us, be it water, wine, or whiskey, we don't judge. Tell us how you are feeling?

I'm personally having a glass of 19 Crimes' Dark Red. After getting Comedy last round I was absolutely twitterpated to get horror this round. I'm currently reasonably pleased with how it turned out and very thankful that some of my favorite beta readers were on hands to lay eyes on it.

My writing mojo has been scraping the bottom of the barrel lately and I may have submission regret tomorrow, but tonight I'm just happy to have done the thing. 
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 8:40pm
I just might pour one last glass of wine for the night. After all, it's Saturday. 

This was my first time getting Suspense or Thriller, and MARSHMALLOWS in my action. After some serious WTFing this morning, it all came together in the shower (a writer's best friend) and I ended up with something that allowed me to experiment a bit, with perspective and style. 

We shall see. 

I'ma go get that wine now. 
MF Final Awakening
SSC#1 In the Eye
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:05pm
Heckin' heck. I had easy prompts and it destroyed me. I just couldn't latch onto something that felt right. Wrote a story. Then another one. Made dinner. Had an existential crisis. Then wrote a third. Asked friends to vote on which story they'd submit. Took a three hour nap. Regretted my whole life. Ignored what my friends picked unanimously (though one of the stories they didn't pick helped me rule it out).

In the end, I remembered that every story is a bet. As far as I know, all three stories could win with one set of judges and get trashed by another set. I went back to my first story. Of the three, it's the most me, including the fact that its quirks border on brokenness. With no clue which story is most likely to move me forward, this is the one that I will feel best about should I go down in flames.

That said, this competition I committed to unreasonable overconfidence. Last round I aimed for for a story that would end the entire contest in one round with me sweeping the top ten spots. It wasn't enough to get me to the top spot in my group. This time my story will not only sweep the finals, but will somehow be discovered and awarded the Nobel Prize. In medicine. (Hopefully this works, because I only have a couple more levels left to escalate).

I've submitted. Half an hour before the deadline, I'll revisit it to see if I missed any errors. Until then I am living it up, enjoying my coffee with both cream and sugar. If I still had any alcohol in the apartment, that would be in there too.

Edited by kristina_f - 16 Jan 2021 at 9:09pm
250:
R2 G7
SSC:
R1 G127 Degenerate Tarot
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

That said, this competition I committed to unreasonable overconfidence. Last round I aimed for for a story that would end the entire contest in one round with me sweeping the top ten spots. It wasn't enough to get me to the top spot in my group. This time my story will not only sweep the finals, but will somehow be discovered and awarded the Nobel Prize. In medicine. 

Love the 'tude, lady! I personally go with abject self loathing... it keeps the darkness at bay if I'm trolled with a bad/mean spirited review, and should I score well, the pleasant surprise (and na-nya to the troll) are pretty sweet.

Everyone has a process. Wink

Edited by nod1v1ng - 16 Jan 2021 at 9:12pm
EMeadows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EMeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:21pm
Hooray! I just submitted my first fairy tale. I started strong then things got realllllllllllly bumpy. Stopped, restarted and stopped again. Then got serious and finished it. Somewhere along the way I started thinking I was limited to 200 words and then had the actual fun of being able to add words for once. Submitted with 3 hours to spare. 

Time for some ice cream to celebrate!

Congratulations to all writers! What a roller coaster these competitions are and I love every minute.
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

That said, this competition I committed to unreasonable overconfidence. Last round I aimed for for a story that would end the entire contest in one round with me sweeping the top ten spots. It wasn't enough to get me to the top spot in my group. This time my story will not only sweep the finals, but will somehow be discovered and awarded the Nobel Prize. In medicine. 

Love the 'tude, lady! I personally go with abject self loathing... it keeps the darkness at bay if I'm trolled with a bad/mean spirited review, and should I score well, the pleasant surprise (and na-nya to the troll) are pretty sweet.

Everyone has a process. Wink

That's definitely more my style, intuitively, but there is an art to it. At some point I crossed the line into full neurosis. Just couldn't submit anything anywhere. Lost my self-deprecation license. I would have contested the decision, but deep down I felt I deserved it.
250:
R2 G7
SSC:
R1 G127 Degenerate Tarot
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:20pm
So glad to be done with this one! I'd never tried writing suspense before and I really enjoyed it. I did keep wishing I could use 500 words, though! I'm going to pour a nice big pinot gris and take a bath. Congrats to everyone who's submitted!
Alyxbee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alyxbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:24pm
Hi, yes. I don't know what is real life anymore. Give strong drink please.
milesmum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote milesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:29pm
Wow, wait, so they didn't give everyone the same genre as last time? I guess I just got lucky: Ghost and Ghost. 

I had some great beta input. Feeling pretty much all right about the whole endeavor :)
zurrie1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zurrie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:36pm
Good luck everyone! That one was brutal for me and I thought the first round was rough! Two genres outside my wheelhouse. Can I get a third? Please?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic