NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Micro 100 Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202122
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:08pm
Originally posted by macfustys macfustys wrote:

I agree that every piece of feedback can be useful.
I don't.
And right now, I've got a bit of sympathy toward the folks feeling frustrated with the unprofessionalism of their feedback.

Especially in the microfiction contests, I've seen instances where the critique has made it clear that the judge was not committing their full attention to the piece as they were reading it--a request for details that were blatantly stated in the text, or a complaint about a plot point that changed meaning with a twist ending--and they've obviously made no effort to reread or reconsider the work before giving "improvement" crit.

That's not an issue of subjective opinions to mull over when feeling less butt-hurt, or an interpretation of genre expectations to take with a grain of salt. That's a lack of service for payment rendered--every single entrant has paid for the judges' expertise on their piece.

A 100-word microfic takes a minute to read. Even less to reread.

And if a judge cannot invest their attention for that short amount of time, their feedback is definitely not helpful. They are cheating the piece, the writer and the contest hosts, and have no business being involved.

Edited by Kira - Yesterday at 3:10pm
MF100 C1 G45 1st - VIEWS
BobbieJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbieJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:29pm
Edited to add: Because I'm clearly not smart enough to master quoting another comment ... this is from taaaylor back on page 20 of this thread.

So?[/QUOTE]
To be honest, I tend to take feedback asking for extra information in this word count to indicate that I may have picked a plot that demanded more explanation than my word count could allow. The more that's left up to inference or implication, the more room there is for confusion.

Not saying that's the case for the stories for people I'm replying to, as I haven't read them. Just offering another way to think about the feedback ;)
[/QUOTE]

This is an excellent approach to taking the criticism.

Edited by BobbieJ - Yesterday at 4:41pm
MF (2021) R1 Biology 101
thegmoat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegmoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:44pm
I found it funny when my criticism said I could of used more words lol like, I only had 100 to use. But honestly, most of the feedback was positive and I respect it. Lessons were learned and I’ll come back next time with what was shared with me. 
[https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic41334_post425514.html#425514] Know Your Crowd
Scoobadood View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scoobadood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 57 minutes ago at 7:33pm
Congratulations to everyone who made it through to the next round! Challenge on!

I didn't make it.  My important learning was to be less clever.  One of my judges "got" the work and was super positive
"This was a very clever story. I enjoyed the idea of the personification of the forest fire and of the river."

The other *two* judges couldn't figure out who my protagonists were.
"Who is this dancing man and why does her touch destroy him? "
"Is this man a dream stranger?"

In fairness, I have had feedback from other readers suggested that they needed to read it a couple of times before hitting the "aha" moment. I guess the difference is that they were prepared to make that investment. I'm pretty happy with that. Particularly when some readers came back a day later to re-read it! But expecting judges in a competition with more than 6,500 entries to read a 100 word piece a couple of times may be asking too much. 

I'm disappointed - I made round 2 last year with a work that seemed much poorer. But the criticism was really helpful in that it helped me to better understand the style required for microfiction. This year I'm left thinking that unless I want to write for judges who don't have time to consider a piece beyond a superficial read, I should probably not enter this particular competition.

Good luck to all of you still in the running.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202122
  Share Topic