NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MF100 R2 Assignments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 11:16pm
Commented in the wrong forum. LOL

Edited by WhistlerCrowe - 18 Jun 2022 at 11:49pm
WhistlerCrowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 11:36pm
Posted in wrong thread. LOLConfused

Edited by WhistlerCrowe - 18 Jun 2022 at 11:46pm
jayscottink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayscottink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by CloudySkies CloudySkies wrote:

I'm not sure how my story will be received, but I got group 18, Historical Fiction, Rationing, dress. My first thought was WW2, but I thought a lot of other people might do that and so I hurt my own feelings and did historical fiction set in the 80s.

Groupmate!

Also…: Nooooo. I was *alive* in the 80s! I don’t *remember* it, but I was *alive*, so it can’t be historical fiction!

I also steered clear of WWII, but I opted for going farther back instead ^.^
Ladysmith (M100 R2, Hist Fic)
Heart-Burst (FF R1, Horror)
CadleA View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CadleA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 12:00am
I'm in this group too! Honestly, I'm just happy for a genre I'm way more familiar with - especially since I got comedy in Round One! 

But the challenge I feel with fantasy is it is just. so. open. So many turns each story can take!
R1 G110 COMEDY The Art of Marshy Mallows
R2 G14 FANTASY A Race from Retribution
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 12:21am
Originally posted by jayscottink jayscottink wrote:

Originally posted by CloudySkies CloudySkies wrote:

I'm not sure how my story will be received, but I got group 18, Historical Fiction, Rationing, dress. My first thought was WW2, but I thought a lot of other people might do that and so I hurt my own feelings and did historical fiction set in the 80s.

Groupmate!

Also…: Nooooo. I was *alive* in the 80s! I don’t *remember* it, but I was *alive*, so it can’t be historical fiction!

I also steered clear of WWII, but I opted for going farther back instead ^.^

Not only was I alive. Not only do I remember the 80s. For a large portion of them I was a legal adult.
My teenagers tell me all the time I'm history. I don't need NYCM supporting them.
CLRosser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLRosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 12:50am
Originally posted by eeivorychurch eeivorychurch wrote:

Group 11: Romance, adding sugar, "dare".

At first I actually groaned out loud because romance is not my thing (romantic comedy would have been worse, but I guess since I had comedy in the first round the universe just had to make sure all the boxes were ticked somehow). Now though that I've written and tweaked my round 2 story a few times and am finally happy with the version I have uploaded (for what it is), I appreciate having been given genres I was less drawn to in the list of possibilities. It's challenging, but in a good way. It's also very freeing. If I received a trio of prompts that I felt like I should be able to kick 100 word butt with, I'd probably choke, haha.

No pride lost here by losing with romance!

groupmate!!
I had pretty much the EXACT same reaction, and I feel the same way about RomCom and Comedy (I'm probably tempting the NYC gods to just smack with these genres back to back in the future).  However, after thinking on my prompts on the way to work, I eased up on my anxiety a bit.  And yes, I do think it's a good idea to branch out into unfamiliar genres, even if I go kicking and screaming the whole way.

Hope you post when they give permission, I always love seeing how others used the prompts!
CLRosser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLRosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Justin_Creps Justin_Creps wrote:

Originally posted by eeivorychurch eeivorychurch wrote:

Group 11: Romance, adding sugar, "dare".

At first I actually groaned out loud because romance is not my thing (romantic comedy would have been worse, but I guess since I had comedy in the first round the universe just had to make sure all the boxes were ticked somehow). Now though that I've written and tweaked my round 2 story a few times and am finally happy with the version I have uploaded (for what it is), I appreciate having been given genres I was less drawn to in the list of possibilities. It's challenging, but in a good way. It's also very freeing. If I received a trio of prompts that I felt like I should be able to kick 100 word butt with, I'd probably choke, haha.

No pride lost here by losing with romance!

Hey groupmate! I feel the same way about romance and comedy.

If it makes you feel any better, my last 5 rounds in NYC Midnight have been: comedy, romance, comedy, romantic comedy, and romance.

In protest... I wrote a very dark, dystopian romance.

this is my literal fear....maybe I shouldn't have been so vocal about how much I dislike these genres....LOL
Kinash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 3:39am
Group 7, Romance, underlining text, "pull".
I dread that I've fallen into a very cliche response, as all I could think of was writing a letter or card. Not my favourite, think I've actually bombed out. Was a struggle to write something interesting.
2022 Micro100 R1 The Naming (Fairy tale/fantasy)
2022 Micro100 R2 Sky Kisses (Romance)
casey4004 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote casey4004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 10:28am
Originally posted by bluevervain bluevervain wrote:

Romance, hanging wet clothes up to dry, mine

I...I think my story is done?! I've always dreaded romance a little bit and I groaned when I got this prompt--it didn't help that I initially read the word "mine" as "mime" and I was screaming to my husband that I had to write 100 words about a lovesick mime doing laundry--but suddenly an idea came to me and I wrote it and I'm nearly certain it's complete. I'm going to sleep on it, and I still need a title, but holy moly. As someone who generally procrastinates until the last minute, I'm pretty shocked.

This was my prompt as well, and I also thought it said "mime"!

I kept coming up with romantic comedy ideas and I knew from having this genre before that mixing in comedy can technically take it off-genre.

My entire house is torn apart for remodeling and I am trying to follow the contractor around as he finishes stuff and do all the painting to save money, so that's what I was doing yesterday until i had a major back spasm because I'm too old for this sh*t. I also hate the paint I chose, but whatever. So I finally came up with an idea and crawled onto the couch and wrote it while my family ate Jimmy Johns and watched The Shining. I think it's ok. I'm happy with it.
mvwrite View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 1:16pm
For round 2, I'm in group 6

G: Ghost Story
A: Covering a child's eyes
W: Good

It took me a bit to come up with something I didn't hate--unlike last round where I struggled to think of what to do with the prompts at all (that darn putting on toupee lolol), this round I had the problem of having too many competing ideas. Admittedly I was also bit of a mess as I was experiencing a ton of technical difficulties with Submittable this past round. But for all the panic, I really did have fun.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic