NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MF100: most random "Research"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MF100: most random "Research"
    Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:37am
I try to research anything I'm writing about, so I don't sound like a total idiot. Some genres call for it more than others too (looking at you, HF), but I love when I end up learning about some completely random stuff for a 100-word story.

So my question: what's the weirdest / most random thing you Googled during the first round of MF100, and what genre was it for?

I'll go first (spoiler warning, if you haven't read my story yet and don't want to know the reveal):

Spoiler Spoiler

Do caterpillars have hearts? (Romance)

Edited by jhenn - 13 May 2022 at 8:42am
iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 9:55am
Not for micro, but for last year’s flash fiction I googled, “can you transplant teeth from one person’s mouth to another?” And in theory yes, yes you can. Though ill advised due to bacteria transfer. More commonly people’s own teeth can be repositioned/transplanted in their own mouths for various needs. But I set my story in the future so some grace that by then, person to person teeth transplant might seem more achievable. 

But maybe like you, for almost everything I end up down a Google hole of questions and answers. For micro, I got ghost. So for the first time, no research since I didn’t have any questions about the prompts. I’d love HF one day though!

Edited by iress - 13 May 2022 at 9:58am
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 12:56pm
For the 2020 250mf final, I got deeply into research about crab traps - and how crabbers are paid enormous bounties during the off season on going out and recovering old traps and equipment from the ocean floor. 

It was much too complex to write about for 250 words, so I went another direction (which was a good call!) But the information has been living in my brain since then.
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 2:24pm
ice-cream flavours, this round. :)
G81 SS The Momento
Micro250 The Younger Man HM
R2 G10 Rhyming The Substitute HM
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 9:42pm
When were straitjackets invented?
(I got HF in my very first NYCM and that was my required word. Had to scrap my first idea completely as it was pre-straitjackets!
Also found out all about Bedlam, the ancient now buried walls of London an the father of modern psychology for that one.

More recently, emergency procedures for miners in a mine collapse. Amazingly difficult to find, which is rather disturbing. 
JackClames View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackClames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 4:55am
For MF100, mediaeval spice trade routes in Oman, cos why not?
SSC24, R1 G122 Game, Set and Match
CLRosser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLRosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 11:45pm
For this round, the only thing I really Googled was mythological creatures associated with memory.  I needed something mystical to add into my fantasy genre and really make sure it struck,  though it may have been a little too unknown.

Now for short story this year,  I went on a long research into what could possibly kill dragons. Found a creature and then had to look into it extensively so it made sense in my story.  
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:12am
Um.

Not sure if this counts as “random” or just “I'm now on a police watch list” but here’s a little trip down my search history:
  • “How to dispose of body”
  • “How to dispose of pet body”
  • “Would flushing goldfish clog toilet”
  • “Would flushing cat clog toilet”
  • “Would flushing pieces of cat clog toilet”
  • “Does bleach fix clogged toilet”
….for those wondering:
  • Yes, you can flush a goldfish.
  • No, you can’t flush a cat.
  • Yes, you can flush small pieces of a cat (please don’t actually do this).
  • Yes, bleach does fix a clogged toilet. It’s not as effective as drain cleaner, but it is one less word. ;)
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
JanetM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:52am
Originally posted by ZoeLou ZoeLou wrote:

Um.
  • Yes, bleach does fix a clogged toilet. It’s not as effective as drain cleaner, but it is one less word. ;)
The most important thing! Why "Rocky Road" was ruthlessly cut from mine. LOL

Edited by JanetM - 15 May 2022 at 9:52am
G81 SS The Momento
Micro250 The Younger Man HM
R2 G10 Rhyming The Substitute HM
cewood View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 10:36am
I did some research into ovens large enough (and with zero visibility) to cook a late teens/young adult human. Not the kind of thing you really want in your search history, and my young adult sons are probably afraid of me now! 😂 But, alas, so much had to be cut out that literally no one thinks this person was adult sized, anyway. 

This was my first time ever writing ANYTHING (since I was maybe 12), so it was incredibly fun! I am hoping to do more and improve along the way! 😁
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>