NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MF 100 Finals Title and First Three Words

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samanthadunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 10:20am
Originally posted by just_a_pause just_a_pause wrote:

Originally posted by Biddolius Biddolius wrote:

I assume we don't post our whole 100 word stories yet? My first crack at the comp / the forum and I'm not sure of the protocols :)

Title: Filming Armageddon
First three: "Have words with..."

In the last round I got historical fiction as the genre and my heart sank. Then the googling began and it got interesting... This time, on the morning I got the Final prompts, I happened to see a video on Twitter about underwater nuclear tests in 1958 and - boom - turns out I write historical fiction now! LOL

Good luck to everyone. It's been a great ride. Now we're flying blind through that final cloud; all we can do is wonder what way up we'll be when we come out the other side!

Glad I'm not the only one who ended up writing Historical Fiction despite not being their normal thing. Normally I'm Women's Fiction/Speculative so this was rather a departure.

Jumping aboard that "person who doesn't typically do historical fiction for some reason chose to do historical fiction" train haha Mine is a very loose interpretation of the genre, but it's interesting to see where the open prompts take everyone! 
KanishkT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KanishkT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 10:53am
Title: The Great Knight of Neoliberalism

First three words: "Lift your sword

I did a little political satire/fantasy story. Good luck everyone, your titles look fascinating!
ElleBee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ElleBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:08am
The Best Medicine

It's not hard...

They asked for interesting and inventive stories, so I went out on a limb with this one. Hope this little "speculative fiction w/ an attempt at comedy" (is it even that? I'm honestly not sure LOL) lands. Can't wait to read all your stories later this week!
MFC 100 Final: The Best Medicine
Zydrate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zydrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:22am
"The Best Medicine"

The red pill...

Not sure mine will even be considered a story, but I'm still proud of it. Reminding myself that it was an accomplishment to make it this far =)

MF100 R1 Chocolate
CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:30am
I ended up writing a little drama that I love very much.  This is my first final and it was a great experience.  Thank you to the last minute Betas for some great advice!

title: Lost
First words: The night was
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:37am
Title: Knock, Knock

First Three Words: He lifts me...

Self-Assigned Genre: Suspense

Edited by slinkylink - 31 Jul 2022 at 11:38am
livciotta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote livciotta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:38am
Only my second time completing in a NYC Midnight Challenge and safe to say I'm hooked! So excited to have made it to the final. After a sci-fi piece and a ghost story, I opted for drama in this round. Looking forward to reading other submissions.

Title: Call to Armistice

I avoid the...

MissKeister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MissKeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 12:19pm
Ended up making some extremely last minute changes that at the time, felt genius. And this morning I’m questioning everything LOL

I Know Why the Kookaburra Laughs

The kookaburra watches….

Edited by MissKeister - 31 Jul 2022 at 12:19pm
100Micro Final Kookaburra Laughs
100Micro- R2 G5 Mark of Cain
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by MissKeister MissKeister wrote:

Ended up making some extremely last minute changes that at the time, felt genius. And this morning I’m questioning everything LOL

I Know Why the Kookaburra Laughs

The kookaburra watches….

It’s SO hard to avoid those last minute fiddles LOL I made a rule for myself when I entered my first NYCM in January that my personal submission deadline is 11pm ET an hour before the official deadline. If I feel rushed, I ALWAYS make mistakes, and I’m so worried about missing a typo or worse, editing out my required work or action haha! That means that at 11pm, I close the document I’m working on and don’t open it again until past midnight for the title and first three words/synopsis posts haha.

But of course some last minute edits are absolutely genius!! I’ve definitely missed out before by not submitting better ideas I’ve come up with after 11pm, but I’m so terrified of an unintentional typo haha. I can’t wait to read your full story; that title and opening is so enticing!!
oaklandjohn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oaklandjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:07pm
Don't know if it's a winner, but I was reasonably happy with how it turned out.

Tent City

This would be...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic