NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MF 100 Finals Title and First Three Words

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 3:18am
Originally posted by just_a_pause just_a_pause wrote:

Cannot wait to read everyone's full stories! Mine went down the historical fiction route so if anyone is a major British/feminist history buff you might be able to guess the meat of the story from the title! 

The Epsom Derby, 1913

The unstoppable mount

I'm there I think!
just_a_pause View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote just_a_pause Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 4:46am
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

Originally posted by just_a_pause just_a_pause wrote:

Cannot wait to read everyone's full stories! Mine went down the historical fiction route so if anyone is a major British/feminist history buff you might be able to guess the meat of the story from the title! 

The Epsom Derby, 1913

The unstoppable mount

I'm there I think!

Yay! I mean Jess Day references it in a New Girl episode so it's not so niche that it's completely unheard of... I hope! 
deedodd81 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deedodd81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 5:40am
. . .

“I’m a comma

Hmmm, despite first appearances, it wasn’t a comedy 😂
MFC 2019 C2:Clear Broth, Clear Mind
FFC 2020 C1:The Grey Sea
Biddolius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biddolius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 6:16am
I assume we don't post our whole 100 word stories yet? My first crack at the comp / the forum and I'm not sure of the protocols :)

Title: Filming Armageddon
First three: "Have words with..."

In the last round I got historical fiction as the genre and my heart sank. Then the googling began and it got interesting... This time, on the morning I got the Final prompts, I happened to see a video on Twitter about underwater nuclear tests in 1958 and - boom - turns out I write historical fiction now! LOL

Good luck to everyone. It's been a great ride. Now we're flying blind through that final cloud; all we can do is wonder what way up we'll be when we come out the other side!
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Biddolius Biddolius wrote:

I assume we don't post our whole 100 word stories yet? My first crack at the comp / the forum and I'm not sure of the protocols :)

Yes!! We can’t post our full stories to the forum until we get an official confirmation email from NYC Midnight (not the Submittable we one got last night), which should come on Tuesday by midnight!

Re: Your title and first three words, isn’t it amazing what these competitions do to us? LOL My first draft ended up being a romance piece when I’m not a huge fan of writing that genre, either! What I submitted ended up being a drama?? I guess?? Since we weren’t made to stick with a genre, I felt like it didn’t fulfill any super well, but drama was the closest! Can’t wait to see
Your full story in a couple of days! 
kayelizarod View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kayelizarod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 7:59am
Levavi Oculos

I can't run
just_a_pause View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote just_a_pause Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Biddolius Biddolius wrote:

In the last round I got historical fiction as the genre and my heart sank. Then the googling began and it got interesting... This time, on the morning I got the Final prompts, I happened to see a video on Twitter about underwater nuclear tests in 1958 and - boom - turns out I write historical fiction now! LOL

Good luck to everyone. It's been a great ride. Now we're flying blind through that final cloud; all we can do is wonder what way up we'll be when we come out the other side!

Glad I'm not the only one who ended up writing Historical Fiction despite not being their normal thing. Normally I'm Women's Fiction/Speculative so this was rather a departure.
emilymyoga View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote emilymyoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 8:58am
So thrilled to have made the final and feeling like I’m in good company!! Here’s mine

Fourth of July, Navy Pier
Fireworks boom overhead…
Micro 100 2020: Downstream (5th overall)
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 9:30am
Hey! Thanks for taking the time to read my story yesterday! :) 

Carolyn Says Take Two Steps Back
John hovers behind...

Edited by wisemel - 31 Jul 2022 at 9:34am
samanthadunne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samanthadunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 10:12am
Oh my God, all these sound like winners to me already!! Cannot wait to read everyone's full 100 word stories. 

A Border in Check
Once every few... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic