NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

May 2022 Screenwriting Battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chanler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 8:54pm
This was really fun! One of the biggest criticisms I've always gotten is "Chanler doesn't apply himself" so I've been using NYC Midnight to "force" me to actually write since I first discovered it in 2020. I was really excited to see Writing Battle was a challenge I could do during the downtime between rounds and keep the creativity flowing.
I drew Western and was immediately excited to write in that genre, though my finished product was COMPLETELY different than what I had initially thought I was going to write.
The judging process is also very fun and unique (though I did get busy with work and kids and didn't realize I was on the clock for a duel until I had just over an hour to go before the deadline!).
Can't wait to do this one again!
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 12:18am
I didn't think to check the NYCM forums regarding Writing Battles! But I had a lot of fun with this challenge specifically, writing my very first Western (yeehaw). Originally I kinda groaned when I saw "western," but after thinking about it for a few minutes, figured that was all the more reason to write one -- to challenge myself. And I honestly was very happy and proud with what I ended up writing, so thanks Max for enabling that :)

Already judged two breakup stories and two swashbucklers (admittedly I had a lot more fun reading the swashbucklers). Excited for the rest of the duels! And cool to see a lot of forum folks in on the fun as well.
-EJ
Screenwriting R1: "The Upward Mobility of Villainy" (Crime Caper)
All my NYCM entries :)
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 3:07pm
There are some really great screenplays this time! I just read two breakup stories that were so different from each other but both so good. I think it's the hardest time I've ever had choosing a winner! Really looking forward to my next duel!
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 9:41pm
@Chanler - Thanks! Good to hear you're enjoying the judging process! And I can definitely see kids and work getting in the way haha. Thanks for finding the time anyway and good luck in the competition!

@pondsandfrogs - Westerns sound like they would be tricky. Interested in reading your script if you're cool with it and/or post it on the WB Debrief forums. Love reading your stuff!

@bluevervain - Love that you found the judging enjoyable! It's awesome to read that people look forward to the duels. Makes the work putting this competition together worth it :D Have fun in the rest of the competition and good luck!
AlyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AlyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 12:07am
Hi @maxbjork, just wanted to say thank you for all you have done with Writing Battle. First off, the response time for queries was off the charts. Thank you again for running such an efficient competition. I felt so rewarded after stretching my writing muscle to write a screenplay that I know I wouldn't have ever come up with if it weren't for the prompts, but more than that, judging the duels is a highlight of my day. All of the screenplays are so well written, I really agonize about my choices and it has been really hard coming up with comments for improvement. I don't envy the task the final judges will have before them. This competition has been so much fun. It will be sad when the duels finish but the discussions that follow should make up for that crushing loss. I am already looking forward to participating in the next comp.

maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by AlyK AlyK wrote:

Hi @maxbjork, just wanted to say thank you for all you have done with Writing Battle. First off, the response time for queries was off the charts. Thank you again for running such an efficient competition. I felt so rewarded after stretching my writing muscle to write a screenplay that I know I wouldn't have ever come up with if it weren't for the prompts, but more than that, judging the duels is a highlight of my day. All of the screenplays are so well written, I really agonize about my choices and it has been really hard coming up with comments for improvement. I don't envy the task the final judges will have before them. This competition has been so much fun. It will be sad when the duels finish but the discussions that follow should make up for that crushing loss. I am already looking forward to participating in the next comp.

This made me so happy to read. Thank you :) Love to hear that the contest is connecting with you, Aly. I hate to say it, but the choices in duels will get even more difficult as the tournament progresses. Just wait until your last duel and you have a quarter or semi-finalist duel. Those will be tough! But fun I hope :D
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

@pondsandfrogs - Westerns sound like they would be tricky. Interested in reading your script if you're cool with it and/or post it on the WB Debrief forums. Love reading your stuff!

Definitely cool with you reading the script -- I'll be planning on sharing the script when those Debrief forums open!

But to echo @Aly, these battles have been a lot of fun, and you can tell the quality / caliber of writing is getting better as well (more competition, oh boy!). I think the combo of your contest and others like NYC Midnight are challenging all of us to be better and giving us these opportunities to really improve with the peer judging/feedback. I don't take these for granted, so thanks for all you do and the community you're making -- it matters!

A breakup duel and two swashbuckler duels for me; and I feel like I read the swashbuckler champ because one I thought was so funny & inventive. Excited for the next duels (won't mind you throwing me a zombie one to mix it up Wink).
-EJ
Screenwriting R1: "The Upward Mobility of Villainy" (Crime Caper)
All my NYCM entries :)
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 11:34pm
Happy I got to judge all the other genres, and hope my final duel next week isn’t canceled like last time.

I forget, when do we get to see the brackets? Is it before or after the winners are announced?
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 6:46am
@pondsandfrogs - awesome! practicing/improving your writing is the goal with these things. Haha I wish I had control and I could do that for you (okay, technically I could but it would be tough to do manually). An algorithm matches the scripts with the judges. I think you're more likely to get Zombie at this point, but only slightly :D Oh, I saw a 48 hour short you made on Twitter and really enjoyed it. Cool to see the other side to these screenplays.

@Dark&StormyNight -- It seems like the changes to the algorithm made it more likely for everyone to get different genres. It's still random, but this time it's *more* random haha. Nice to see that fixed! Also, because the tournament is best-of-five now, I think there's a high likelihood that we will use the majority of judges for all their duels. No promises though. It all depends on how many of these duels come down to the tie breaker. The more that are done in 3 duels (the minimum number of wins), the less judges we need. Oh and thanks, Hallie, for being so supportive of this competition :)
nickwascreative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickwascreative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:32pm
I ended up with two breakup duels and a zombie. Funny enough, both zombie stories took the comedic route which is exactly where I would have taken the genre if I had received it. Even funnier, they both featured the same location but neither had it as a prompt.

I wrote like a skurvy dawg with my swashbuckler story and the true booty is that I found a new favourite genre to write in, YARRR.
Still made it funny though, can’t help myself.

Thanks for putting this on, Max! I always have fun in these comps. Both times I’ve just missed the top two in my group so I’m hoping maybe I can squeak by this time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic