NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

May 2022 Screenwriting Battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nickwascreative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 7:02pm
Came down to the wire on this one—submitted with 26 mins to spare. As soon as the prompts dropped, work exploded for me and consumed every evening I should have been writing. Thanks to my 30-min bus rides to and from work and a couple hours of free time on Saturday I was able to pull off a Swashbuckler! Whew.
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:00pm
First duel was fun, read two good and very different Westerns that made great use of their object prompts.

Max, in both cases the ‘read in new tab’ did not work. Was able to read both by clicking ‘Download.’
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Dark&StormyNight Dark&StormyNight wrote:

First duel was fun, read two good and very different Westerns that made great use of their object prompts.

Max, in both cases the ‘read in new tab’ did not work. Was able to read both by clicking ‘Download.’

Yes, both the scripts I judged downloaded on to my comp as well. 
Go on the site and let Max know, I did. 

Edited by Suave - 11 May 2022 at 2:18am
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 5:20am
Hi @Dark&StormyNight and @Suave,

Thanks for giving me a heads up about this. I messaged you both on the site, but I will give a longer explanation here --

I had to change the buttons because with the new creative writing competitions, there are two ways to read a story.

However, with PDFs -- you just download them and the browser will open them in a new tab.

I noticed what you are both describing last night and I thought I fixed it by not showing one of the buttons (because they should both do the same thing), but I have a feeling my changes didn't make it to every part of the world last night.

This all to say, I will fix this today. If it bothers people that PDFs are being downloaded, I will change it so "Open in New Tab" uses Google Docs Viewer to open a PDF, and make it so the two buttons do something different. Edit: Turns out this is more complicated than I want to deal with right now because of the new PDFs that my software creates when people submit their PDF. I'm just going to change the wording on the button. PDFs will be downloaded + opened in a new tab (on 99% of browsers). Nothing has changed from past Screenwriting competitions.

Thanks again everyone,

-Max

Edited by maxbjork - 11 May 2022 at 7:57am
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 9:18am
Awesome peer feedback (so far), everyone! It's really cool to see peers giving honest, constructive feedback to each other. Love it!
redhart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Awesome peer feedback (so far), everyone! It's really cool to see peers giving honest, constructive feedback to each other. Love it!

This is my first battle and I was so nervous about giving feedback but I actually enjoyed it.
When do we receive our feedback, when everything is judged and decided?
Thanks for all your work. This has been a lot of fun! I’ll definitely participate again!
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by redhart redhart wrote:

This is my first battle and I was so nervous about giving feedback but I actually enjoyed it.
Thanks for all your work. This has been a lot of fun! I’ll definitely participate again!

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it :) All feedback is released to everyone on June 8th, but before that -- around May 29-31st (when the final 8 scripts have gone to the industry professionals), the Writing Battle Debrief forums open up and you can share your script on our forums with a press-of-a-button, then give feedback to each other similar to these nycm forums. If you participate in all of it, you end up with an insane amount of peer feedback.

Let me know how you enjoy the rest of the competition!
redhart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 8:52am

Originally posted by redhart redhart wrote:

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it :) All feedback is released to everyone on June 8th, but before that -- around May 29-31st (when the final 8 scripts have gone to the industry professionals), the Writing Battle Debrief forums open up and you can share your script on our forums with a press-of-a-button, then give feedback to each other similar to these nycm forums. If you participate in all of it, you end up with an insane amount of peer feedback.

Let me know how you enjoy the rest of the competition!

Thank you! Appreciate the reply and looking forward to my next duel.
Chanler View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chanler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 6:00pm
I got Western! Wonder if one of them was mine? Are we allowed to say the names of what we've read or written?
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Chanler Chanler wrote:

I got Western! Wonder if one of them was mine? Are we allowed to say the names of what we've read or written?

We definitely can’t reveal what we’ve written until the judging is over, and genre is the only part of our prompt we can reveal. I know it’s tempting to spill all like we do right after NYCM submissions but since it’s peer judging/reviewing it has to remain as anonymous as possible Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>