NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

May 2022 Screenwriting Battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: May 2022 Screenwriting Battle
    Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 7:31pm
Hi everyone,

What is Screenwriting Battle? Click HERE to learn more. But here's the gist...
  • You are dealt prompts and start writing on May 3rd, 10PM EST.
  • Submit your (up to 10 page) Script before May 8th, 10PM EST.
  • Receive a schedule for the 5 Duels that you are assigned to judge (spread out over 3 weeks)
  • Everyone Judges their 5 Duels which seeds and progresses a massive tournament.
  • The Top Two scripts in each genre are given to industry professional judges to give their own feedback and decide the four winners from the four possible genres.
  • The Four Winners split the CASH prize pool! And the peer feedback is released to everyone.
  • Winners announced on June 8th.
Alright... so what's a Duel?
  • A Duel is between two scripts where a Judge reads, gives feedback, then decides which script is better. A Duel must be completed within 23 hours from the assigned start time. You are never judging scripts in your own genre... therefore you're not competing with the scripts you're reading.
Have you competed before? Some things that have changed since the last screenwriting battle back in November...
  • Everyone gets 6 Redraws and 1 Genre Draw for their prompts. There are no more coins. No more buying redraws or Genre Swaps.
  • One massive tournament (technically four massive tournaments -- one for each genre). No Pools or confusing scoring system.
  • Arbitrations are now called Duels
  • I think that's it... it's certainly better though. The Flash Fiction competition in February went over really well.
Check out the Past Winners from the Battles last year, read more about the Rules! Oh and after the Finalists are given to the Professional Judges (and the Duels are completed), you can share your stories on our Forums with a click-of-a-button and read/comment on each others entries.

Ask me any questions that you have! Please spread the word if you or someone you know might be interested in a competition like this. I'm biased obviously -- and the competition is by no means perfect (yet) -- but I think it's pretty fun. Thanks for reading this thread :)

Cheers,

-Max

Edited by maxbjork - 22 Jun 2022 at 8:40pm
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 5:05pm
--

Edited by maxbjork - 15 Apr 2022 at 10:17am
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 3:42pm

Hi Max,

I think I'll hold off until your FF Battle in July. Even though I enjoyed competing in the previous Screenwriting Battle, I'm editing my thesis at the moment. So by July, I should have a free moment to compete.

Good luck with it. Have fun!Smile

Edited by Nimhathuna - 17 Apr 2022 at 4:05pm
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Nimhathuna Nimhathuna wrote:

Hi Max,

I think I'll hold off until your FF Battle in July. Even though I enjoyed competing in the previous Screenwriting Battle, I'm editing my thesis at the moment. So by July, I should have a free moment to compete.

Good luck with it. Have fun!Smile

No problem, Nim, good luck with your thesis! Next FF battle is in the start of August, so you have even more time between now and that competition.

Hope all is well :)

-Max
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 10:34am
I think I just got the screenwriter that wrote Face/Off and Tomb Raider as the fourth Industry Judge for the May 2022 Screenwriting Battle. Still waiting for him to sign, but he agreed and seemed excited about it.
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:34pm
Away we go…

Can you tell us the genres for this battle?
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:05pm
Hi @Dark&StormyNight, you should see it in the "The Battle is About to Begin" email, but the genres are:
BREAKUP STORY
ZOMBIE
SWASHBUCKLER
WESTERN

Let me know what you think :)

This is just a reminder for those reading, it is okay to reveal your own genre, but please do not reveal the rest of your prompts (if you're sticking with them).

Cheers,

-Max
redhart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 12:36am
Breakup for me 💔
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 12:42am
Ah yes, maybe had I read past the first line of the email LOL

Opted out of zombie immediately, not my jam, so swashbuckler it is.

Happy writing everyone!
Rachel M View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rachel M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 12:46am
Western for me! Brand new one so... here we go!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>