NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Logline game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Logline game
    Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 6:33am
Every year before the Screenwriter's Challenge starts, Tony and I do logline drills. We write all of the potential genres on little slips of paper and stick them in a bowl, then we write a bunch of random topics on more little slips of paper, and put them in another bowl. We take one slip from each bowl, and then we have to think of story ideas for each combination.

Wanna play? I'll start off with the first genre and topic, then someone else can post a logline and a new genre and topic. I think it's cool to have people continue posting loglines for multiple genre/topic combinations.

First combination: Science Fiction/telemarketing
Sponsored Links

crlncxn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crlncxn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 6:42am
Good grief - that's a tough one Aimee! Needs some thought. I'll get back to you...
aurora68 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 7:08am
I just picked a genre at random and the first topic that popped into my head -- probably because I just got a call from a machine. Sci Fi is tough for me too. I'm going to try to come up with one for this combo in the hopes that it'll help me if I *do* get put into a SciFi heat.
crlncxn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crlncxn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 10:08am
Okay then:

An unearthly telemarketing campaign in a small English town leaves residents only able to speak in sales patter. Jane tries everything in her power to resist galactic domination by double glazing fitters.

And here's mine:
Monster Movie/ Thermal Underwear

stegosaurus View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegosaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 11:15am
Originally posted by aurora68 aurora68 wrote:

Every year before the Screenwriter's Challenge starts, Tony and I do logline drills. We write all of the potential genres on little slips of paper and stick them in a bowl, then we write a bunch of random topics on more little slips of paper, and put them in another bowl. We take one slip from each bowl, and then we have to think of story ideas for each combination.

Wanna play? I'll start off with the first genre and topic, then someone else can post a logline and a new genre and topic. I think it's cool to have people continue posting loglines for multiple genre/topic combinations.

First combination: Science Fiction/telemarketing

In a future where assisted suicide is legal, a duplicitous Insurance Company executive comes up with a cost saving plan:  cold call Senior Citizens and convince them to kill themselves.

Edited by stegosaurus - 27 Jun 2007 at 11:32am
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegosaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 11:38am
Originally posted by crlncxn crlncxn wrote:

Okay then:

An unearthly telemarketing campaign in a small English town leaves residents only able to speak in sales patter. Jane tries everything in her power to resist galactic domination by double glazing fitters.

And here's mine:

A Kentucky Coal miner is exposed to bizarre underground chemicals which bring his clothes to life!  Now he must lead a final attack against his thermal underwear before it reaches the discount clothing store and creates an army.
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegosaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 11:41am
mine:

Musical/Forklift
aurora68 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by crlncxn crlncxn wrote:

Okay then:

And here's mine:

Oh lordy -- a whole town of people speaking in sales patter? Sounds like horror to me!

Here's my Monster Movie:

When the tiny monsters on a little boy's Dr. Denton's come to life, he gathers an army of toddlers to put them back where they belong.
aurora68 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by stegosaurus stegosaurus wrote:

Originally posted by aurora68 aurora68 wrote:

Every year before the Screenwriter's Challenge starts, Tony and I do logline drills. We write all of the potential genres on little slips of paper and stick them in a bowl, then we write a bunch of random topics on more little slips of paper, and put them in another bowl. We take one slip from each bowl, and then we have to think of story ideas for each combination. Wanna play? I'll start off with the first genre and topic, then someone else can post a logline and a new genre and topic. I think it's cool to have people continue posting loglines for multiple genre/topic combinations. First combination: Science Fiction/telemarketing

In a future where assisted suicide is legal, a duplicitous Insurance Company executive comes up with a cost saving plan:  cold call Senior Citizens and convince them to kill themselves.

Chilling! Are we *entirely* sure that insurance companies aren't already doing this?

Also:

A Kentucky Coal miner is exposed to bizarre underground chemicals which bring his clothes to life! Now he must lead a final attack against his thermal underwear before it reaches the discount clothing store and creates an army.

AAAAAAAAaaaaa! An army of discount clothing! It's Mr. Blackwell's worst nightmare.

Edited by aurora68 - 27 Jun 2007 at 1:04pm
aurora68 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 1:01pm

mine:

Musical/Forklift

An ambitious young forklift dreams of getting out of the inner city pork-barrel project where he was born, and into an exciting new life digging for diamonds.

Mine: Political Satire/ Cheese

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic