NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Literary Magazines/Publications?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samanthadunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Literary Magazines/Publications?
    Posted: 18 May 2022 at 8:45pm
Hello, 

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in, but I was wondering about some of the places you all submit stories to outside of NYCM?

I'm new to that whole world (I haven't submitted much since college) and was curious to know if you all had any go-tos you either frequently read or submit to? 

Been on the hunt for publications that specifically accept/are open to genre submissions as I've been trying to workshop previous NYCM entries, revise them based on feedback and maybe give them a new life somewhere else. 

Thought I would tap into the wealth of literary knowledge that is this forum! 

I appreciate any and all insight! Smile
Meg Murray View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Meg Murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 9:38pm
Hi Samantha! I love this question! There are a ton of great genre magazines & websites to submit stories to. I've had some stories published in the last year and it's really exciting! My top advice is to check out the Submission Grinder from Diabolical Plots, which is a free website where you can search for places to submit, see data from other (anonymous) submissions, & track your own submissions. It's here: https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/
You can search by genre, word count, pay rate, etc. I have a list of favorites that I like to read & submit to, but there are literally hundreds of great markets to choose from. Some of the top paying ones print really quality stories so you could start with some like Uncanny Magazine, Apex Magazine, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, and Asimov's Science Fiction. There are also great dark fantasy & horror publications. Happy reading & congrats on wanting to start submitting stories! Big smile
FFC'22 G67 Ch1(14th)+ Ch2(5th) = 13 points, overall 8th X
100M'22 R1, G38 X
SSC'22 R1, G223(1st), R2, G22 X
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 8:22am
I would also definitely encourage you to sign up for one of the submission managers which let you search for different venues based on the criteria you submit. I'm not a big fan of Submittable, as I think their search feature is limited, but they are free. Submission Grinder is also free, and easier to use/more comprehensive. I personally think Duotrope is the best, but there is a cost associated with it. (You can sign up for a free 30 day trial though.)

Originally posted by Meg Murray Meg Murray wrote:

Uncanny Magazine, Apex Magazine, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, and Asimov's Science Fiction.

These are all really amazing venues, and definitely take a spin through them, read some great stories. However, be forewarned that if you decide to submit to them they are extremely challenging to get into. 

I have had 60+ shorts published over the past 4 years, with more forthcoming. I've ranged from non-paying and fledgling markets to pro-rate ones. With that though, has come hundreds and hundreds of rejections. Rejection is part of the game, so don't be discouraged when they start coming! 

Edited by nod1v1ng - 19 May 2022 at 2:54pm
rachell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rachell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 11:16am
Check out Erika Krouse's list of literary magazines. She ranks them by tier (top being The New Yorker, The Atlantic, etc). But it's a great resource of hundreds of places to submit! I haven't had a ton of luck, though I did have a story that was originally a NYC Midnight (Sci-fi, first round) published in The Honk Kong Review a couple years ago.

Twitter is also a great place to get ideas of where to submit. You'll also get quick heads' up when submission windows open.

samanthadunne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samanthadunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 11:59pm
Hello! Thank you all so much for responding! This is all so helpful. :)

@Meg Murray - Will definitely be checking out Submission Grinder to better guide me. Cannot wait to peruse the other magazines you mentioned! 

@nod1v1ng- I might try the trial and see how I like it, thank you for that insider tip! Coincidentally, the day I asked this question is the day I got what I'm sure will be my first in a series of rejections haha And as someone who has seen and admired (from afar) your work on here, which is nothing short of brilliant, I so appreciate your encouraging words on that subject matter. Thank you for being forthcoming on what it took you to get there, too. Sometimes, it's hard to imagine others going through those same struggles (even though I know we all do at one point or another). It's all part of the process! 

@rachell - Oh, thank you so much! I hadn't heard of that list before. And I guess Twitter IS good for something then. haha I'll have to reactivate mine and see what I find! Thank you again! 
 Post Reply Post Reply