NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Literary agents & publishers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Ckingteacher Ckingteacher wrote:

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I do know I can say for sure that the odds of getting on Jeopardy are better than selling a novel. 
In college, I was selected for Wheel of Fortune after a multi-step audition. Sadly, I graduated and moved without ever having gotten the call to fly out.

I'm on next Wednesday's Jeopardy. It took four on-line tests with four in-person auditions. I probably sent out a dozen short stories before something sold (and ironically it was a romance I wrote at the last minute and where I did absolutely everything you would think you shouldn't do.) 
FFC R1 GR40: Iconoclast
FFC R2 G40: Void Deck
Ckingteacher View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ckingteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 7:10pm

I do know I can say for sure that the odds of getting on Jeopardy are better than selling a novel. 
In college, I was selected for Wheel of Fortune after a multi-step audition. Sadly, I graduated and moved without ever having gotten the call to fly out.

I'm on next Wednesday's Jeopardy. It took four on-line tests with four in-person auditions. I probably sent out a dozen short stories before something sold (and ironically it was a romance I wrote at the last minute and where I did absolutely everything you would think you shouldn't do.) 

Very cool! I hope you win! Or won -- did it already film?
Micro R1: Child 543
Micro R2: Downgraded
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 12:37am

Very cool! I hope you win! Or won -- did it already film?

We filmed in October! Can't say how I did, obviously. (They need more literature categories, just saying.)
FFC R1 GR40: Iconoclast
FFC R2 G40: Void Deck
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 7:06pm

Congrats!
Flash R3 GR20 Curiosity Loop - HM
Micro R1 GR32 First to Market
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 6:19pm
I doubt there's any glory just by winning, but whenever I send out queries, I say... hold on and let me find it... 

A few years ago, I reached the finals of NYC Midnight’s flash-fiction competition, scoring in the top 64 out of around 3,500 writers. 

In the "about me" paragraph near the end of the query. Hey, you've got to sell yourself. (Not that I've ever made it to first base with an agent.) 
Ckingteacher View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ckingteacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

I doubt there's any glory just by winning, but whenever I send out queries, I say... hold on and let me find it... 

A few years ago, I reached the finals of NYC Midnight’s flash-fiction competition, scoring in the top 64 out of around 3,500 writers. 

In the "about me" paragraph near the end of the query. Hey, you've got to sell yourself. (Not that I've ever made it to first base with an agent.) 

Great idea! Thanks!
Micro R1: Child 543
Micro R2: Downgraded
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic