NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Last Minute Typo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda Panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last Minute Typo
    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:58am
I submitted my story at pretty much the very last moment, 10:59 p.m. CDT. I didn't get long to sigh with relief, though, because I realized to my horror that I'd neglected an 's on a word in one of the last sentences I'd written. Cry I'm kicking myself for making such a stupid mistake. I know that the FAQ says judges are instructed to overlook a spelling or grammar error here or there, but adds that you never know, it could be viewed as unprofessional and make a difference in your rankings. Confused

I can beat myself up over and over again about this in my own mind, but I wanted to ask fellow writers here what you thought. (And I'm presuming it's okay to ask about this in a general way, since I'm not posting my story itself before we're allowed?)

How big of a deal would a dropped possessive be for you? Even better, if you're someone who still moved on to the next round after a submission with a typo, I'd love to hear about it. I may have been clenching my jaw nonstop in stress for the last hour, not sure LOL. Help Ouch
NYCgirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NYCgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:16am
I mistakenly missed the word "is" last time. I kicked myself for about 20 minutes until I promptly forgot about it. In the end, I scored 2nd, which marked my first time moving onto round 2.
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Amanda Panda Amanda Panda wrote:

I submitted my story at pretty much the very last moment, 10:59 p.m. CDT. I didn't get long to sigh with relief, though, because I realized to my horror that I'd neglected an 's on a word in one of the last sentences I'd written. Cry I'm kicking myself for making such a stupid mistake. I know that the FAQ says judges are instructed to overlook a spelling or grammar error here or there, but adds that you never know, it could be viewed as unprofessional and make a difference in your rankings. Confused

I can beat myself up over and over again about this in my own mind, but I wanted to ask fellow writers here what you thought. (And I'm presuming it's okay to ask about this in a general way, since I'm not posting my story itself before we're allowed?)

How big of a deal would a dropped possessive be for you? Even better, if you're someone who still moved on to the next round after a submission with a typo, I'd love to hear about it. I may have been clenching my jaw nonstop in stress for the last hour, not sure LOL. Help Ouch

Oh nooo it's always so annoying spotting typos too late! 

I'm sure just the one is fine - I've managed to avoid typos in microfiction (so far) but my short story had a bunch and none of my judges seemed to mind. I got an HM but pretty sure the reason I didn't move on was because of the messy plot rather than spelling issues.

Good luck!!!
MFC R1: Lifeblood

MFC R2: Dog Training
Amanda Panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda Panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:19am
That is good to hear! Thank you! Heart  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda Panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:30am
(Thank you both- my reply didn't thread, so instead of replying individually I'll count that for both of them :) ) 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda Panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 2:06am
Aaaaaaand I just realized that there is even a button for thanking so both of those replies were unnecessary LOL I rarely use message boards in other aspects of my life so I'm on a learning curve. Geek
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:47am
This is the reason I never read anything I have submitted until the judging is done and I have the feedback - saves a lot of worry and pain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic