NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Last min inspiration!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 11:14am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

My more-final draft of my second script is not too bad. The first script--well, it's never going to see the light of day.

My ending has changed a few times as I'm trying to find the right "beat" here. Wasn't it a Dickens' novel that had two endings? So I'm like Dickens, I guess. ;)

Well, you little dickens, haha.  You have 13 hours to fix it, or finish it, or polish it.  Get to work!
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by wateringcan wateringcan wrote:

Trying to convince myself to write a second draft but feel like lounging around and doing nothing at all! My feedback has been so incredibly divisive it's difficult to know what to do. I've literally got as many saying one thing was their favourite bit as I have people suggesting I take it out. Ho Hum...

One way to keep everyone happy is (I think) to re-write everything but the first scene, essentially changing the story. It's doable ... but I caaaan't be aaaaaarsed...
No, don't change it that much! Shocked It's so funny (even just thinking back on it is hilarious). I wonder how many times people read it before giving feedback? I think I appreciated it more on the second read, then I re-read it just to enjoy it and marvel at what I was reading. Then I summarized your story for my son (who was asking why I was laughing so much), that fourth take made me appreciate it even more. But I don't think judges do more than one read. 
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
wateringcan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by thesaura73 thesaura73 wrote:

Originally posted by wateringcan wateringcan wrote:

Trying to convince myself to write a second draft but feel like lounging around and doing nothing at all! My feedback has been so incredibly divisive it's difficult to know what to do. I've literally got as many saying one thing was their favourite bit as I have people suggesting I take it out. Ho Hum...

One way to keep everyone happy is (I think) to re-write everything but the first scene, essentially changing the story. It's doable ... but I caaaan't be aaaaaarsed...
No, don't change it that much! Shocked It's so funny (even just thinking back on it is hilarious). I wonder how many times people read it before giving feedback? I think I appreciated it more on the second read, then I re-read it just to enjoy it and marvel at what I was reading. Then I summarized your story for my son (who was asking why I was laughing so much), that fourth take made me appreciate it even more. But I don't think judges do more than one read. 

Lol, thank you for the support!

Gah, I've no idea what to do. I now have FOUR VERSIONS of this story. Now I've had the flaws pointed out I can't unsee them, but when I fix the flaws I have to change a bunch of other stuff for it to make sense and then it loses all its character....I'm thinking of going with the first thing I wrote with some minor changes .... God I don't know. Really haven't got a clue what to do now!!!

The main problem with the first version is that about half of people who have read it have asked me whether or not it's comedy .... it is ... but I don't think it's a good thing if people have to ask!!!! (and the judges, I'm sure, will only read it once :p)

(The other half of betas didn't question whether it was comedy, however, and said they particularly liked the very bits others pointed out as weak....*CRIES*)

Edited by wateringcan - 14 Oct 2018 at 3:02pm
Basha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 3:59pm
Wow y'all all out here doing multiple drafts!? I barely had time to complete one. Next time gadget!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12