NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Italics in short story challenge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberly June Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Italics in short story challenge
    Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:29am
Are italics allowed in short story?
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 1:27pm
as far as i can tell, item #22 in the contest rules states that item #16 governs the formatting requirements, and #16 only states that you must use 12pt and Times New Roman, Courier, or Courier New.

the implication is that italics, bold, underlining are permissible. perhaps NYCM could clarify. keep in mind that ".txt" does not allow any formatting, so if you have italics you'll need to use either Word's file format (.doc, .docx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf)
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 1:37pm
piggy-backing on the last question, there are other typographic features I would normally do, like set the line length to around 66 characters per line, but that would require changing the left/right margins to 1.75" for letter paper size. i can also set the paper size to "Executive" (7.25" x 10.5") which gives you close to optimal CPL for readability. but if the judges are printing these out, that might scale when they print so that the type would look closer to 13pt or 14pt.

or i could manually enter line breaks to keep the lines around 66 characters, which would be more readable but leave a gigantic right margin.

or i could just stop fussing about the typesetting and just do the standard settings for everything, which is probably what i will do. i'd like to improve readability for the judges, but maybe that's just me being silly.
pondsandfrogs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pondsandfrogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 2:15pm
I'm not NYCM, but yep -- italics, boldings, and underlines are allowed! Like @Deschain said, you'd be uploading with a .doc or .docx for that formatting to remain.

Happy writingWink
-EJ
Short Story R1 G146: "The Terms" (Horror)
All my NYCM entries :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic