NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introvert vs Extrovert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:44am
Major Introvert and fellow INFJ Smile
Sponsored Links

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:17am
Originally posted by northernwriter northernwriter wrote:

Extrovert here!

I used to be an introvert and I know they say people can't change. But I trained myself to go and talk to people - now I love it and thrive on hearing their stories and chatting them up!

I was INFP. Now I'm ENFP.

Westerners seem to have this idea that an introvert can't be gregarious - Americans, especially, since we lionize the gregarious extrovert as the only valid/successful personality type.  Introversion and extroversion are not about shyness, or gregariousness - those words are commonly misused and treated as the same thing. At heart, they are about stimulus levels.

An introvert gets stressed when the number of simultaneous stimuli rises above a certain level. An extrovert stresses when they drop below a certain level.  So the introvert 'recharges" by getting away from things, while the extrovert recharges and is energized by increasing the number of things they are interacting with (party with lots of friends, out to the pub to hang with the lads, etc.)

I congratulate you on training out of a behavior that you felt wasn't serving you - it's a *hard* thing to do!  I also wonder whether that was a change from introversion to extroversion, or whether our muddled definitions just caused you to be mislabeled earlier on...?  

Lots of folks who are 'borderline' swing back and forth across the line on the test depending on day and mood (mine is a constant wiggle between INTJ and ISTJ - not a broad range, i just fall a little to one side or the other of the centerline depending on the day). So now I am curious whether you changed a behavior, modified what's generally considered a wired-in stimulus response, or "were centerline on the stimulus, and changed an associated but falsely-linked behavior").  

If you're comfortable telling us more about that, I'd be really curious to know just what that looked like for you!   :)
See you next FFC! Meantime, don't hesitate to stop by my web site to see what I'm up to!
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:25am
I'm just overt.
CH1 Screenplay: Little Bird (Suspense)
CH2 Short Story: The Sound Of Progress (Mystery)
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Lots of folks who are 'borderline' swing back and forth across the line on the test depending on day and mood (mine is a constant wiggle between INTJ and ISTJ - not a broad range, i just fall a little to one side or the other of the centerline depending on the day). So now I am curious whether you changed a behavior, modified what's generally considered a wired-in stimulus response, or "were centerline on the stimulus, and changed an associated but falsely-linked behavior").  

It's so interesting - I've noticed a lot of my friends have one "letter" in their type that they waver on, depending on the day, situation, etc. For me, it's the T/F. I am at heart an INFJ, but if someone near me is getting TOO emotional or having an energy level that is just too much for me, I go full INTJ, and switch the "feeling" lever off so I don't become overwhelmed by another person's emotions.

SSC1: Mythtaken - 2nd place
SSC2: We Are the Waiting
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

It's so interesting - I've noticed a lot of my friends have one "letter" in their type that they waver on, depending on the day, situation, etc. For me, it's the T/F. I am at heart an INFJ, but if someone near me is getting TOO emotional or having an energy level that is just too much for me, I go full INTJ, and switch the "feeling" lever off so I don't become overwhelmed by another person's emotions.

It's an aspect of the test/results that I think bears more PR.  It seems common, and yet rarely a rel discussion topic.  Almost everyone I know has a 'waver' element - and it's always consistent:  three solid foundations and a 4th that hovers at the borderline.  

Have to admit, I don't "see" my hover in the day to day as clearly as you do, Chrissie - great self-awareness! :)

Edited by nixie - 11 Feb 2019 at 3:06pm
See you next FFC! Meantime, don't hesitate to stop by my web site to see what I'm up to!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic