NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introvert vs Extrovert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:34am
Definitely an extrovert, calm(sometimes), good-looking, sure of myself and what I am about to screw up.
Sponsored Links

emilymyoga View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote emilymyoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:16am
Another introvert here! INFJ as well! It's interesting, the idea of presenting in front of groups/being outgoing while still being introverted. I teach yoga, and talk to people all day at my other job, and I enjoy both of my jobs but definitely need alone time to recharge. 
robcunn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robcunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 1:23pm
I consider myself an ambivert but think I would more often be categorized as an extrovert. Technically my Myers Briggs personality type is ENTP, but the "E" and "I" are differentiated by like a single percentage point. 
SSC 2019 -- R1, Heat 36 | Comedy/A Tournament/A Tutor | Tournament of Stillness
RBJohnson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RBJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 1:33pm
Introvert. But you wouldn't believe it if you met me.

SSC 2019 Round 1: Duluth
Dekay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Veralisa Markwood Veralisa Markwood wrote:

I'm an introvert and I NEED time alone.

However, I'm also very comfortable in front of a crowd, leading a group, giving presentations - 

I am the same, Veralisa. Some people argue with me about my introversion because I am so "outgoing" in front of a crowd (during presentations). Your post accurately aligned with my experiences as well. 

This is an interesting thread. 
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Dekay Dekay wrote:

Originally posted by Veralisa Markwood Veralisa Markwood wrote:

I'm an introvert and I NEED time alone.

However, I'm also very comfortable in front of a crowd, leading a group, giving presentations - 

I am the same, Veralisa. Some people argue with me about my introversion because I am so "outgoing" in front of a crowd (during presentations). Your post accurately aligned with my experiences as well. 

This is an interesting thread. 

You might not always be able to pick an introvert out of a crowd. Both introverts and extroverts can be loud and laugh and have a good time. The difference is, the extroverts find an after party, the introverts go home as soon as humanly possible and then collapse in a People Hangover.
SSC1: Mythtaken - 2nd place
SSC2: We Are the Waiting
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:31pm
Extrovert, or at most ambivert leaning extrovert. I may sometimes need time alone to recharge, but I'm much more likely to be stressed by not having any generalist, large-group interaction than I am by being in a group. 

I definitely don't fit the internet stereotype of an introvert (which seems confused with social anxiety and/or the "empath" thing.)
SSC R1 G87: The Road to Rakvene 3rd
SSC R2 G20: Beer and Trembling
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I definitely don't fit the internet stereotype of an introvert (which seems confused with social anxiety and/or the "empath" thing.)

I think this right here is why I wanted to pose the question. This idea people have that "introvert" means "shy." That it means "anxious." I can't even say for sure that introverts tend toward more issues with anxiety than extroverts do, though there are probably numbers from studies or surveys out there.
SSC1: Mythtaken - 2nd place
SSC2: We Are the Waiting
Veralisa Markwood View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veralisa Markwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I think this right here is why I wanted to pose the question. This idea people have that "introvert" means "shy." That it means "anxious." I can't even say for sure that introverts tend toward more issues with anxiety than extroverts do, though there are probably numbers from studies or surveys out there.

I have a dear friend who is an extreme extrovert. He is a very fun guy, loves to be the center of attention, talks non-stop, must be active in group activities all the time. He has mentioned to me that he is very uncomfortable with one-on-one conversations or situations that get too personal. 

So, yeah, I don't think we can make generalizations about who is shy, anxious, etc. just by their personality type.

Edited by Veralisa Markwood - 31 Jan 2019 at 3:04pm
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Power to the introvert!! I love the internet as a way to make friends!! I'm a pure introvert, but I'm split 50/50 down the Meyers-Briggs' other three scales. And you are so right--the internet is a godsend for introverts from an energetic perspective. And I too have made my best friends online!! Such a blessing!! Having online friends even gave me the confidence to make some "in person" friends. I've also traveled to meet internet friends and have had more fun than imaginable. 

Yeah, I love the unicorns! Shout-out to the unicorns among us! 

I remember the first time I traveled across the country to meet an internet friend face-to-face. I was 22, and I HARDCORE lied to my parents, told them I was traveling to LA to meet up with some friends from college who were living and working there now. The next time I did it, about 4 years ago, I explained the situation, and my parents, husband, and brother thought I was going to be axe-murdered. Like, they were sure I was being catfished. But my nerdy sister-in-law, bless her heart, was like "Guys, chill. This is a thing people do."

Yeah!! I'm so on board with it. Online, you can find people who are a much better match for your personality, because it's a global environment! I'm a huge fan of the concept!! My super-great best friend lives in Prague, and visiting her last October was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Not just the trip, but that I know her in person now. 

I was also friends with an author who was small-press published, and he died of old age and cancer. I sobbed for a week. He was always emailing me with funny stories from his life, and he encouraged my writing, and I'd have given anything to have met him in person, but it wasn't to be. Cry But at least I knew him at all, right? 
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic20879_post271074.html#271074 Round 2 story
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic