NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interim Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interim Challenge
    Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 4:28pm
I would like to read your creative ideas into why the results come in so late or delayed. 100 Words

Genre: Open
Action: Judging
Word:  break
scurvy_seadog View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote scurvy_seadog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 4:38pm
It's always Judge 1629's Fault

“Goddamn it Judge 1629, you’re always breaking something!”

Judge 1629 looked behind him, meowing as he jumped from the coffee-soaked keyboard to the ottoman. The laptop began smoking and Harold watched in horror as all the NYCMidnight Round 2 Entries he had finally just judged that morning went up in flames. To be fair, he’d had five weeks to get to it but, as always, he decided to wait until the Wednesday morning the results were due.

Upon receiving the dreaded delay email, the 100-word MF participants picked up their pitchforks and began the march towards New York City.

Zero11 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Zero11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:28pm
1936 beats 1629, Hands Down

1936, bald and overweight, hung up the phone with a smirk. He had done it again.

He reread his “Needs Work” feedback… the Day Late feedback. Ha!

“Was that supposed to be a period? I would think an exclamation point would convey more emotion”.

Giggle.

“Did you mean to say “pickle” there?  Was that innuendo or a typo?”

Snort.

“I don’t really get it. Why didn’t he grab his hat?  We all know hats retain body heat”.

Ha!

Perfectly useless. Mess with the system in every way. Go Trump.

From upstairs, "BARRY! BREAKFAST!”

“Coming mom!”

Edited by Zero11 - 28 Jul 2022 at 2:07am
scurvy_seadog View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scurvy_seadog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Zero11 Zero11 wrote:

1936 beats 1629, Hands Down

Bahahahahahaha!! "Perfectly useless." "Go Trump."

I LOVED IT!! LOLLOLLOL

ClapClapClapClapClap
mysteryship View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mysteryship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 5:40pm
Midnight Noir

The light screams in my eyes, forcing a squint. Smoke hangs in the room’s dark corners. 

I’m supposed to be intimidated, but I’ve been here too many times before. Doesn’t phase me.

My interlocutor hands me a single sheet of paper. It holds a few typed words, maybe a hundred. “Judge,” they say.

I don’t feel like fighting, so I read the story, then break the news that it’s not gonna make the cut. Defeated, they let me go.

I walk out whistling in relief until I remember: the deadline. sh*t. Everyone else’s results are gonna be late.

Zero11 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zero11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 7:15pm
Isn’t it crazy how easy it is to whip out 100 words for fun?  And then the pressure of the contest means I probably overthink!
jhenn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote jhenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 8:48pm

NEEDS WORK

Atlantic Monthly: No Thanks.

Vox: No thank you.

Huff Post: Nice try. Maybe next time.

McSweeny’s: We’re going in a different direction…

Judge #### pounds the dregs of their last bottle of twelve-dollar merlot and claps the Cheeto dust from their hands. MF100 R2 files sit patiently, waiting to be unzipped and judged.

Fingers poised over the keyboard, Judge #### instead reach for the mouse to click on thesaurus.com.

“WHAT THE JUDGES LIKED ABOUT YOUR STORY” mocks them from the otherwise empty Word doc.

The countdown widget on their iphone clicks towards 0:00.

A single tear hits the space bar. 

Edited by jhenn - 27 Jul 2022 at 8:49pm
FFR1
MFR2 and R1 was G15 Appetite for Love
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 11:11pm
Omg, this thread is brilliant! I had wayyy too much fun with this silly story and think I would've gotten myself DQ'd in the actual competition as it's arguable whether any actual "judging" happened, but hey, I enjoyed myself LOL

THE TOWER

"Do they know you do it this way?" Judge ####'s daughter asks as she watches her father shuffle his cards.

He shrugs. "I doubt I'm breaking any rules." He spreads the deck across the table and nods toward her. "Choose."

"Me?!" she squeals. "Don't you have to choose? You're the judge." 

"It's time you try. Use your intuition."

With a trembling hand, the girl picks from the deck. She cocks her head. "Why's the tower burning?"

Judge #### stares, pale-faced. "It has been decided," he declares. "The judging cannot proceed."

"But aren't the results due tonight?"

"It doesn't matter. We're doomed."
haole View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 6:57pm

YAHTZEE!

With a cackle, I throw the bones. Snake eyes.

I squeal with delight and slam my hand on the desk: "You shall not pass!"

I scan the story, searching for some obvious plot point I can misinterpret. Aha! There it is!

"You don't go ON a plane. You go IN a plane." I giggle.

My email notification pops up. NYC again. God, they just won’t let this go.

“ALMOST DONE” I pound out in all caps. I look at the clock. After midnight. Break time! I put away the Yahtzee game and go lay down.

Only 63 more stories left.

Edited by haole - 28 Jul 2022 at 6:58pm
Read my 2nd Round 100-word story Gone in 16 words
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by haole haole wrote:

YAHTZEE!

With a cackle, I throw the bones. Snake eyes.

I squeal with delight and slam my hand on the desk: "You shall not pass!"

I scan the story, searching for some obvious plot point I can misinterpret. Aha! There it is!

I love this story, and the “obvious plot point I can misinterpret” especially LOL I kind of resonate with that because I feel like I miss some obvious plot point when I’m reading stories on the forum (unintentionally, of course), but I have to wonder how picky judges need to get when they have to decide which story gets 8th and which gets HM…
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic