NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I wasn't going to sign up for short story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

...gripe about what I got...

Always a critical part of the process. If I don't spend some time WTFing for a bit, I don't feel like I've gotten my money's worth.  LOL
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by timmytimtimothy timmytimtimothy wrote:

How's everyone planning on approaching it? 

Hoping to have the bulk done over this weekend which I can then edit. This is more out of necessity than good planning - I work such long and unpredictable hours that it's entirely feasible I'll only have the weekends to write it... 
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 9:05pm
Planning to try to crank out a very rough draft on Saturday morning, then revise it over the rest of the week. That's the plan, anyway. We'll see how that goes. LOL

SSC 2019 R3: Call of the Void (HM)
SSC 2019 R2: Cinna's List (Thriller) (2nd)
SSC 2019 R1: Angie (Susp) (1st)
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:51pm
Every year, I almost don't sign up, and every year around Wednesday, I panic and sign up after all.

After last weekend's micro fiction round, I feel a bit burned out, but at least we have a week to complete this round.

Now to await my assignment, which will be horror or ghost story, because that's what I always get first round, it seems...
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 12:55am
If I get Ghost Story again there will be things thrown by mysterious forces consumed with rage.
FF2020 R1G38 Romance | Paper Cuts
SSP2020 C1G14 Ghost | RAISING HOLY HELL
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 1:05am
I don't care what I get, just looking forward to the writing and creating.
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:00am
It would be lovely to think I'll have a first draft done by Sunday night, then a relatively stress-free week tinkering and beta-ing. Miracles do happen, right?
Short story R1 Emerald Eyes
MF250R2 When the Snow Came
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:02am
Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

It would be lovely to think I'll have a first draft done by Sunday night, then a relatively stress-free week tinkering and beta-ing. Miracles do happen, right?

Hahaha, they do! Just not to me.....
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:33am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I'm assuming I'll do what I always do: gripe about what I got, put it off until the last possible minute, and throw something together that I submit shortly before the midnight deadline. 

Seriously. That's usually what I do. Unless LaurieH sees an incomplete draft it's never beta'd because I don't have time to do more than skim for typos.  When I did a microfic contest I finished a lot sooner and did a lot more editing and I didn't get out of round one, so forget that. 

Very much my approach though if I get rom com again I will probably not bother - it would be the fifth time since last year and I'm getting less and less creative with each new rom com assignment...

SSc Ch3 Bad Lovely Road
SSt R1 Will
timmytimtimothy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timmytimtimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:39am
Hahaha I am loving all the different processes! So many ways to end up at the same wonderful destination: a submitted story 😊 

I'm a three-quarter pantser. My routine for the other comps has been to get up excited on the morning of prompts, sigh about at least one of them, write a one-line summary of the first 2-3 ideas that spring to mind, sometimes I'll float them to friends to see what sticks – only to then ignore their advice and write the one I like, which is usually the first one – go about my day until the Saturday afternoon, and then crawl, and I mean crawl, to the finish line. 

@n0d, how exciting that submission day is your birthday - we'll all be right here with you 😊 

MF Round 2: Happy Snaps & Trip-Traps
MF Round 1: Portals in the Pavement
FF Final: As in Popular Culture
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic