NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I wasn't going to sign up for short story

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I wasn't going to sign up for short story
    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:17pm
But here it is basically last minute and I can't help myself. I've done FF and SS for 3 years now and I was going to take this one off, but I guess I have some compulsion or something.

Anyway, good luck to you others who are similarly hopeless and addicted.
ophelialit74 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

But here it is basically last minute and I can't help myself. I've done FF and SS for 3 years now and I was going to take this one off, but I guess I have some compulsion or something.

Yessssss...all of that! I figure there's no reason to stop losing now...I've got such a good record going! Big smile
Plus, I genuinely enjoy our little cadre of NYCMidnight nerds. 
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 3:11pm
Yeah, I really couldn't afford it, but NYCM has its hooks in me now!
pennypeaches View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennypeaches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

MF250 2020 is my first NYCM comp, and I had so much fun that I also had to sign up for the SS comp. After two rounds of 250 words I'm super excited to see what can be done with 2500!

Good luck to you!

Judy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 4:47pm
I'm skipping it. I've absolutely decided. Of course, I decided the same thing with the 250 Micro, and entered with 5 minutes to spare. I have a few hours to change my mind.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:23pm
I spent the last week translating a Russian movie into English.  It was a horror movie, so of course NYCM popped into my head, followed shortly by another of their email reminders that it's not too late to sign up.

Of course the same problem exists.  Romance - Leprosy - A Homeless Pigeon...

I might continue my NYCM Vacation...or I might open the door that the audience already knows should be left closed.  Horror...
This sig intentionally blank
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

I spent the last week translating a Russian movie into English.  It was a horror movie, so of course NYCM popped into my head, followed shortly by another of their email reminders that it's not too late to sign up.

Of course the same problem exists.  Romance - Leprosy - A Homeless Pigeon...

I might continue my NYCM Vacation...or I might open the door that the audience already knows should be left closed.  Horror...

When I inevitably get horror and you inevitably get romance, we could swap prompts and just pretend to be each other for the remainder of the contest?
scottjames View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 8:26pm
When is the precise deadline time for registration, does anyone know?
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 9:03pm
@scottjames I know the deadline is January 21st, more than likely Midnight. Don't quote me on it though. It could be an earlier time. Perhaps a wiser veteran of these contests will offer a response. I'm fairly new.

Same here, I was adamant that I would not participate. What did I do? Register ages ago. Quelle surprise! I think I don't know myself at all. 
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 9:19pm

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

When I inevitably get horror and you inevitably get romance, we could swap prompts and just pretend to be each other for the remainder of the contest?
Okay, that's actually genius. I mean I've regularly scored top 3 in sci fi/fantasy, but anything romance I get punched out immediately. Gotta be a way to swap prompts with a romance high-performer who lands a fantasy/sci fi they're not comfortable with.

I mean dishonest, yes, but I'm tired of getting killed by romance.

Edited by Lord Xoon - 19 Jan 2021 at 9:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>