NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I screwed up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Kamishibai Kamishibai wrote:

Is that 70% a general rule of thumb, or is there a marking framework somewhere?

It's in the official rules:

22. Judging Criteria & Decision of the Judges - The fixed standard and criteria used by each of the Judges shall be instructed by the LLC to the Judges, and shall be as follows: 
15% Format (Adherence to paragraph #14, but not including Length) 
15% Spelling and Grammar 
70% Story (Writing, Originality, Character Development, and Plot Development)

Reasonably_Crazy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reasonably_Crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:34pm

It's in the official rules. I couldn't get a screenshot to load, but it's in paragraph 22 on page 4:

Judging Criteria & Decision of the Judges - The fixed standard and criteria used by each of the Judges shall be instructed by the LLC to the Judges, and shall be as follows: 

15% Spelling and Grammar 

Edited by Reasonably_Crazy - 26 Jan 2020 at 7:39pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:45pm
Biggest screw-up ever: I logged into Submittable and deleted my entry a few weeks before the judging was finished. Don't be that person who deletes her Submittable entry. Big smile Fortunately, I contacted the feedback email at NYC Midnight immediately, and they told me that my story had been graded already, so it was fine. 
shady View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:05pm
Almost. I submitted. Then two hours later, sitting in the bath decided to tweak it a little bit. After making the changes, I remembered to check the font style and size! I would have been so frustrated had I disqualified for the wrong font!
shady
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by stevieh stevieh wrote:

I am so mad at myself.
I've been so happy with my submission. Honestly one of the best stories ive ever written.
And then out of no where it's hit me. I never named one of my characters!
It's still sitting there like this (name)

Anyone else see a major problem after submission? Now that's horror

😱😱😱

There are three characters in my story, only two of whom physically appear. The only one with a name is the one who doesn't and it's an aspect of the character that we explicitly don't know if they're male/female/nonbinary/possibly not human. 

Does it actually MATTER that the character doesn't have a name? You didn't think to name them, so it wasn't critical to YOU. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

22. Judging Criteria & Decision of the Judges - The fixed standard and criteria used by each of the Judges shall be instructed by the LLC to the Judges, and shall be as follows: 
15% Spelling and Grammar 

Hahahaha, you are a little naive. Sorry, don't mean to be sarcastic.  I think once you give someone a judge hat on NYCM it goes right to their little pointy head and they become small dictators who decide god like what is to be.  I have seen so much that is just wrong with the judging and the contests just keep getting larger, making even harder for NYCM to herd them all into keeping the faith.

Edited by Suave - 26 Jan 2020 at 9:26pm
BaliFan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaliFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:38pm
Actually, in my experience some judges are very nit-picky about grammar; I've even had some argue over commas. It really depends.
From the Office of Chaos
BaliFan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaliFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:41pm
I've also had judges deduct points for factual things that I was right about and they were wrong. So truly, the judging can at times be really arbitrary. Sometimes that works in your favor, and sometimes it doesn't. But it's worse when a judge brings their moral beliefs - ie, my prompt included a gun shop, and I had a character later opening a restaurant in part of the gun shop - the judge said she found that offensive, which I guess cost me. Frankly, since I'd been a bit offended by having to set it in a gun shop at all, I thought that was a bit unfair. So be warned.
From the Office of Chaos
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

15% Spelling and Grammar 

Hahahaha, you are a little naive. Sorry, don't mean to be sarcastic.  I think once you give someone a judge hat on NYCM it goes right to their little pointy head and they become small dictators who decide god like what is to be.  I have seen so much that is just wrong with the judging and the contests just keep getting larger, making even harder for NYCM to herd them all into keeping the faith.

Um, I'm not being naive. I'm literally just copying and pasting from the rules. I don't know how or if the judges mark to it. But that is the criteria. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 11:10pm

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

[QUOTE=Kamishibai]Is that 70% a general rule of thumb, or is there a marking framework somewhere?

Um, I'm not being naive. I'm literally just copying and pasting from the rules. I don't know how or if the judges mark to it. But that is the criteria. 

Did not mean that like it sounded.  Was joking that they actually write that down at all as the judges rarely follow them it seems.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>