NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I, Monster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I, Monster
    Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 12:50pm
Fiction War.  Of course Fiction War and Screenplay run at the same time; only a complete idiot would sign up for both of them.

So, having signed up for both of them, I get "I, Monster" as a prompt and a thousand words to play with before 1100 on Monday.  This is absolutely screaming political satire at me.  I somehow think I can offend nearly everyone in less than a thousand words.

At the very least I can offend that subset of people most in need of offending...
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Fiction War.  Of course Fiction War and Screenplay run at the same time; only a complete idiot would sign up for both of them.

So, having signed up for both of them, I get "I, Monster" as a prompt and a thousand words to play with before 1100 on Monday.  This is absolutely screaming political satire at me.  I somehow think I can offend nearly everyone in less than a thousand words.

At the very least I can offend that subset of people most in need of offending...

And you say 'comedy' isn't your thing?!
I am completely procrastinating and chilling as I work best under pressure....real pressure, so maybe I should have signed up for something else too to really put the pressure on?

Those of you doing both....(and you're not alone!) Good on you! I LOVE IT! You'll be great x

Paula x

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 1:28pm
Given the market (I looked at who they are) I'm ignoring every possible obvious genre and sticking to pure lit.

Now, the real challenge: can I crank this out, read my two friends as I do, and also have Sword and Sorceress ready to be in Ms Waters's inbox on Monday morning when the reading period for that opens? 

Sleep is for the weak. 
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Given the market (I looked at who they are) I'm ignoring every possible obvious genre and sticking to pure lit.

Now, the real challenge: can I crank this out, read my two friends as I do, and also have Sword and Sorceress ready to be in Ms Waters's inbox on Monday morning when the reading period for that opens? 

Sleep is for the weak. 

Good call. I bombed out the first two times attempting spec fiction. Going full on literary this time around.

Signed up for FW and Screenplay!

Yep, sleep is for the weak indeed.

Good luck!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Good call. I bombed out the first two times attempting spec fiction. Going full on literary this time around.

You keep tossing this "literary" word around, yet to my uneducated noggin literary is a canonical definition for written works, and within that definition are any number of genres, generally chosen by professors in a vain attempt to do the impossible.

So, going 'full literary' to me says you're not going to draw any pictures.  Of course a single drawing would exceed the word count.

You also keep using the 'sleep' word.  What's that?
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 1:58pm

You keep tossing this "literary" word around, yet to my uneducated noggin literary is a canonical definition for written works, and within that definition are any number of genres, generally chosen by professors in a vain attempt to do the impossible.

So, going 'full literary' to me says you're not going to draw any pictures.  Of course a single drawing would exceed the word count.

Haha. No drawings, not yet anyway.

But in comparing notes from other past FW participants it seems that the judges/publishers aren't huge fans of genre fiction - sci fi, fantasy, etc. More along the lines of drama grounded in the real world.

And oh, sleep. I've forgotten what that meant, too.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 2:05pm

But in comparing notes from other past FW participants it seems that the judges/publishers aren't huge fans of genre fiction - sci fi, fantasy, etc. More along the lines of drama grounded in the real world.

Oh.  Awesome advice.

Drama, eh?  Here's the first part of that email:

The Comic Mind is an Idealist.

The dramatist fundamentally respects and admires humanity. They tell stories that in essence say, 'under the worst of circumstances, human beings are magnificent creatures'.

The comedy writer believes that, 'under the best of circumstances, human beings will find some way to mess up'. If you scratch the hide of a comedy writer, what you discover lurking underneath is an idealist that wants the world to be perfect.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 6:17pm

"Literary" means "the only way anything interesting like a nice murder or a ghost happens is if we either do nothing about it but think, or we call ourselves 'magical realism.'"

Sleep is what happens when you don't drink enough coffee. MOAR COFFEE.
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:00pm
Literary is the only way to write.
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:44pm
Well, that's done. Because any further run-throughs would be excessive picking of nits.  Leaves me all of tomorrow to pick at S&S. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>