NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Hate Waiting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Hate Waiting
    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 10:54pm

So here I am... It's 54 minutes past old lady bedtime and I've just cracked open another local microbrew. 

Normally I'd have gone nighty-night by now and resigned myself to checking the prompts at the normally  scheduled 3am peri-menopause insomnia check-in.

But no. This is a Finals

I double checked my nerdy spreadsheet and in 30 NYCm stories I have only had 2 instances where I did not place or earn a HM. And yet, this is only my second Finals

Oh, frabjous day! 

So here I am, sucking down beers like some sort of lumbersexual. But TNG is playing in the background, because I'm not giving up my nerd card.

What are you up to?

Edited by nod1v1ng - 19 Feb 2021 at 10:57pm
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:10pm
I am pretending I am going to get some work done in the next hour while posting to this thread to ensure that doesn't actually happening.

Also, I'm trying to talk the organizers into making the final category political satire instead of open because I think seeing everyone's reactions would be hilarious.

I am a little saddened about the final round though. I had intended to give it my all and go for first, but now that I've had two second-place finishes in this contest, I feel like I need to go for the sweep. Then again, I feel like the subjective element gets stronger and stronger with each round. I'm sure there will be more than one story worthy of first depending on whom you asked. What can you do but try to make your story one of them?
250:
R2 G7
SSC:
R1 G127 Degenerate Tarot
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:12pm
I’m not in the finals but I’m keeping an eye on the clock, curious to see what the Final prompt is.  May join you guys for fun, try turning it into something. 
kristina_f View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kristina_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:16pm
My guess for the final prompts (in case you wanted to get a jump start thinking about it):
action—fighting with penguins
word—synecdoche

What else could it be?
250:
R2 G7
SSC:
R1 G127 Degenerate Tarot
Mister_Write View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:20pm
It's the early afternoon here, and I just finished a painful shift at work. Now the plan is nap, make myself a coffee, dive at the prompt after multiple panic attacks, make another coffee, switch to beer, stay up all night, and pray to the NYCm gods.

I'm so excited! This is my first final :D.

PS how does beta swapping work in the final? I know people don't usually swap in the same heat, but in the final I assume we're all in the same heat?
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

My guess for the final prompts (in case you wanted to get a jump start thinking about it):
word—synecdoche

What else could it be?

This is literally the only possibility. If we get anything else, NYCm had better prepare for a polite but stern email. 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Dark&StormyNight Dark&StormyNight wrote:

I’m not in the finals but I’m keeping an eye on the clock, curious to see what the Final prompt is.  May join you guys for fun, try turning it into something. 

I love when folks who didn't move on still play with us! Occasionally there's a faction of folks who are not "in the finals" but are playing along who will post their efforts in the Creative Writing Corner for peer review. WRITE STORIES! Do it!

We only ask that they are clearly marked as non-competing so they don't get on the Master List or are confused as "contenders." Although, I've seen some remarkable "non-contenders." 

The great thing about micro is that it's easy to read/review lots of stories, so I for one am happy to encourage MORE STORIES! 

Much love to all you writing peeps,
nod

nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

PS how does beta swapping work in the final? I know people don't usually swap in the same heat, but in the final I assume we're all in the same heat?

We all get the same prompt for the last hurrah. 

I don't use the swap sheet here as I have an independent beta team, but if you are uncomfortable swapping beta with competitors, consider DMing folks whose work you admire and aren't competing this round to see if they are available. 

Personally, I think there's value in cultivating relationships outside the beta sheet. For me, it is really important to have folks on Team Beta that I know and respect. In the creative phase I feel quite vulnerable, so it's critical that I have a support team that knows me, that understands my vision, who knows what buttons to push to bring me to my best self, without crushing me. 

This probably does not help you right at this moment, but it's something to strive towards. 
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by kristina_f kristina_f wrote:

word—synecdoche

What else could it be?

Well I was thinking ‘writing a letter’ would make for an interesting and diverse prompt but penguins are clearly superior.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister_Write Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by Mister_Write Mister_Write wrote:

We all get the same prompt for the last hurrah. 

I don't use the swap sheet here as I have an independent beta team, but if you are uncomfortable swapping beta with competitors, consider DMing folks whose work you admire and aren't competing this round to see if they are available. 

Personally, I think there's value in cultivating relationships outside the beta sheet. For me, it is really important to have folks on Team Beta that I know and respect. In the creative phase I feel quite vulnerable, so it's critical that I have a support team that knows me, that understands my vision, who knows what buttons to push to bring me to my best self, without crushing me. 

This probably does not help you right at this moment, but it's something to strive towards. 

Thanks Nods! That makes a lot of sense Smile. Great advice as always. I think I feel vulnerable in the creative stage too so that definitely sounds like something for me to strive for. 

So there's no problem swapping with competitors per se, it just depends on what individuals feel comfortable with?

Ahhh, sixteen more minutes! I swear this clock is extra slow.

Thanks again :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic