NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How's Everyone feeling about their story?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AidanFrankenstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 1:13pm
I feel like I did ok. The plot isn't as tight as I would have liked and I'm concerned the judges will feel that it didn't fit the prompt requirements, but I think I wrote a few good sentences and I enjoyed the exercise (despite how stressed out as it made me while doing it). 
Adamevans95 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adamevans95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 4:04pm
Honestly, I'm not sure.

I felt pretty good about it when I posted, but the further away from submission it gets, the worse I think it is.

I'm normally pretty confident in my own writing, but it's my first time here so anxious about the points (or lack thereof) heading my way.

Enjoyed it overall and this forum's a good craic, though!

:)
StopStalkingMe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StopStalkingMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 4:41pm
Normally I have fun with my stories. I usually like them despite their flaws. This time I am almost embarrassed to have anyone read it. It is not really any worse than anything else I have written so not sure why I am so nervous about this one. Maybe the lingering shadow of pandemic stress? Who knows!
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 4:49pm
I feel pretty good about it, but last year I did for the first challenge too and I scored no points LOL

Whatever happens happens, just glad we can participate in at least two challenges for this. 
dcontarato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcontarato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:52pm
Didn’t enjoy writing it, discovered that I hate carrots (my object prompt), scrambled to fit in the word count (read: had to chop the heck out of it) and wasn’t particularly happy with the end result. But the forum seems to like it, so not sure...

Beta encouragement was key to get me through, and if it really is decent it’s probably thanks to their feedback as well Smile
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:26pm

Any time I write cyberpunk I secretly love the story. Secretly I say, for I shan't dare go against the writerly trope of self-loathing and doubt. 

I did manage to drop a couple of Easter eggs in there which was fun. One is obvious. One is SUPER nerdy. Bonus points to my gamer pals who get it.

But writing cyberpunk does limit the audience and that's a risk I took.

Also, getting assigned either suspense or thriller is always a challenge because there seems to be a universal struggle distinguishing between the two. Reviewers cannot seem to agree on whether it is a thriller (fast paced) or suspense (slow burn).  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All that to say, I like the story, I know where I'm going to submit it, but I have no idea where it will end up in the judging.
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Also, getting assigned either suspense or thriller is always a challenge because there seems to be a universal struggle distinguishing between the two. Reviewers cannot seem to agree on whether it is a thriller (fast paced) or suspense (slow burn).  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think I read a response you gave to a critique on your story which I really appreciated, outlining the difference between suspense and thriller.  Thank you! I've never actually tried genre writing before, and I also got suspense (you read it) and tried a few different story lines - the cat was actually the first one - but suspense eluded me on the others, though I think they were better written. In the end I played it safe... Now I'm dreading the next one... Do we get to read the judges' notes on everyone? Or just our own? Do they use a common sheet of things to look for or is it much more subjective? How many judges are there? Do they ever read the critiques posted in the forum? Sorry for all the questions. 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Frefallr Frefallr wrote:

Do we get to read the judges' notes on everyone? Or just our own? Do they use a common sheet of things to look for or is it much more subjective? How many judges are there? Do they ever read the critiques posted in the forum? Sorry for all the questions. 

You will get your judges' review (3 of them) emailed to you directly. A lot of people will share and add it to their posts, but it is completely voluntary. Each judge will tell you what they think you did well as well as thing they think could use improvement. 

Unfortunately, we do not really get a lot of insight on how they get there. The rules do say that the criteria is:
15% Format (Adherence to paragraph #14, but not including Length)
15% Spelling and Grammar
70% Story (Writing, Originality, Character Development, and Plot Development)

But how they interpret that 70% is certainly subjective. That's why around here the idea of "writing for the audience" is nearly impossible. Just write something that makes you happy.

Technically, the judges are not supposed to be reading forum reviews. It is for peer review only. Can they? Possibly. But it's against the spirit of the competition!
amlewi08 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlewi08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Unfortunately, we do not really get a lot of insight on how they get there. The rules do say that the criteria is:
15% Format (Adherence to paragraph #14, but not including Length)
15% Spelling and Grammar
70% Story (Writing, Originality, Character Development, and Plot Development)

But how they interpret that 70% is certainly subjective. That's why around here the idea of "writing for the audience" is nearly impossible. Just write something that makes you happy.

I would just love love love love to see the actual raw score sheets per judge---assuming there are any.  In my brain, I see each judge having a score sheet with 20 criteria, each with a scoring value of 1-5.  In which case, 3 would go to formatting, 3 to spelling/grammar, and 14 to story (split between those 4 core areas).  
Then a final line for 'length' penalties, and a space for comments.

Then, they add up the totals and average them and rank them that way, breaking up ties as necessary.

I used to conduct youth speech/demonstration contests and that's how we did it.  But I guess we'll never know! haha
vanwijk88 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanwijk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 1:30am
This was my 5th NYC Midnight story, and probably one of ones I'm happiest with. I actually got it done early and got beta feedback in time for editing and revisions. Having said that, I'm still super worried about the judges, and particularly how they'll feel about the crime in my crime caper not happening on screen but the story focusing entirely on a complication during the job instead. It's always tough wondering how to continue to fit into arbitrary genre boxes while attempting to take the prompts in a rarer (not necessarily unique but not like 5 other stories in your heat either) direction! 
FFC 2020 R2: 250 Beats per Minute (Thriller)

"I intend to live forever or die trying."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic