NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How/When do you write?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomshipley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2006 at 1:03pm
I wrote a script the first weekend.  Got feeback from my brother that he didn't like it on Tuesday.  So wrote another, the bulk of which was done Saturday because, like many of us, the 9-5 (or 8-6) job takes up a lot of time.

Overall, I tend to write at night after work or early morning on the weekends.   While I'm at work, I often get ideas and will email them to my home account.  Usually when I get home from work, I'm so mentally spent that I'm not very creative.  So I just take what I've emailed my self and put it into the script, sometimes expanding on it.  That seems to work best for me.
swhiteley View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swhiteley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2006 at 1:12pm
    I rent a hotel room. Room service and Mickey Mouse PJ's are essential to the process.

Edited by swhiteley - 14 Aug 2006 at 1:12pm
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2006 at 3:32pm
I write in the shower... and since I take my showers at the local Y, I do get some strange looks.

Once, having left my waterproof goods in the car, I carved a touching scene in my Irish Spring.  Proud of the moment, I lathered up whilst whistling the Irish Spring melody.  To my utter disappointment, Reginald's words did not survive the cleansing.

Rewrites are a bitch Wink.
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 4:44am
I think someone's fibbing...
aurora68 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 6:32am
Last year, my husband came up with an idea Saturday morning, we outlined on Sunday, and had a first draft by Tuesday night.  The rest of the week was pretty much spent in re-writes and proofing.  We ended up as fourth runner up in our heat.

This year, our process was remarkably similar.  My husband had one idea, I dreamed another.  We hashed them out a bit and decided to go with my idea.  We outlined for the rest of Saturday and Sunday, then drafted Monday and Tuesday.  Results to be determined.
Check out our script:
Au Jus
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 6:47am

I write when I can.  Time is difficult to come by.  As my kids get more involved in extracurricular activities, it becomes more difficult - though my daughter is a year-round swimmer, so when I take her to practice, I take my laptop with me.

I want to invest more time in writing... though, don't we all?

Bill
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 7:11am

When I have something to write, I just don't sleep.  I'll stay up till 3AM then get up at 6:30AM to go to work.  I can do this for a week if I sleep late on Saturday, but after a while it starts to take a toll.  Still, it's better than keeping it all bottled up inside.

Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 8:10am
Originally posted by ABEAR111 ABEAR111 wrote:

When I have something to write, I just don't sleep.  I'll stay up till 3AM then get up at 6:30AM to go to work.  I can do this for a week if I sleep late on Saturday, but after a while it starts to take a toll.  Still, it's better than keeping it all bottled up inside.

I was able to do the same a long time ago.  My commute is 75 miles to work.  If I tried that now, I would not survive the drive.
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

My commute is 75 miles to work.
That's not a commute, it's an expedition.

Chris
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Chris Messineo Chris Messineo wrote:

That's not a commute, it's an expedition.

Chris

Chris - you are correct; it is an expedition.  Luckily, I only make that expedition Mon-Wed-Fri.  Telecommute on Tues & Thurs.

I'm rarely in traffic, so it's not so bad.  I have to sacrifice to live out in Northwest NJ... and it's worth it (most of the time).

Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>