NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How was your first day?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How was your first day?
    Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:49pm
How is everyone doing? Anyone need a cheering section or a kick in the pants? I bet we can do both for you. :) 

I was assigned to historical fiction (!!!very unfamiliar to me!!!), so today I came up with three different ideas, picked the one I'm going with, and worked on researching the time period & events that I'm focusing on. 

I'll start on the actual writing tomorrow. Getting it figured out in my head (and in notes). 

How about everyone else? 
Sponsored Links

Kelly-Lynne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kelly-Lynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:59pm
Hi! This is my first crack at NYC. I was assigned Drama. Thankfully, someone sent a link defining what drama is from the NYC website (how they found this I have no clue). I'm grateful for this defining moment because as a drama teacher I was thinking of a stage play and started hammering out some ideas. Four hours later, after I read the description of what Drama was, and with three pages of stuff going... I had to start all over again. But- better now than at the last hour of the allotted time. So I'm working on something less "Dramatic" and more Drama....if that makes sense :)

Good luck everyone!Embarrassed
Until Next Time...Keep Writing!
RmMatthews View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RmMatthews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:59pm
I had my mind set last night, was up till 6am this morning working on the first draft and more brainstorming....only to have all my attempts squashed today. So, I am back at square 1 with 0 words. lol.
Never let them believe you aren’t capable of what roars from your soul.
mrjaywilson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrjaywilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:03pm
Well, I wen't to bed last night, woke up this morning and went for a hike in the mountains, then went to a movie, did some errands, and now I'm watching cupcake wars...

I think I'm forgetting something... oh, right... my story. lol

I need to start working on it eventually. haha
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by mrjaywilson mrjaywilson wrote:

Well, I wen't to bed last night, woke up this morning and went for a hike in the mountains, then went to a movie, did some errands, and now I'm watching cupcake wars...

You can't be blamed for the power of Cupcake Wars. It's like Star Wars...but with frosting. I mean, come on.

I'm finished. I'll probably write other stories later this week, but I fell in love with my first shot somehow. I need someone to read it and say it's horrible.
ShadowBeast View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadowBeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:36pm
First draft completed with a 1533 word count... generally pleased with it, but it needs finessing. Gotten a few buddies to check it out and we've found the tender spots, tomorrow need to pull out the meat grinder and get it blended!
R1A tightly packed parcel of contents that leave you wanting--which a publisher told me made her editing day. Suck it judges!
OhNoDomo! View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OhNoDomo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:48pm
Doing ok, was panicking with my Action/Adventure genre though. I love it but have always marveled at how people can write the stuff.  I'm about halfway through my first draft. I hope this turns out action-y enough!

Vernacula, I'm jealous of your superpowers! Already done with one and ready to make another? That's awesome!

ToniVA View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToniVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:51pm
Getting plot things worked out, and I got about 400 words so far. I'm not the greatest at character names and descriptions, so that's usually where my writing comes to a screeching halt. Thankfully horror isn't too far off fantasy's beaten path, so it's peripherally in my wheelhouse.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by OhNoDomo! OhNoDomo! wrote:

Doing ok, was panicking with my Action/Adventure genre though. I love it but have always marveled at how people can write the stuff.  I'm about halfway through my first draft. I hope this turns out action-y enough!

Vernacula, I'm jealous of your superpowers! Already done with one and ready to make another? That's awesome!

I would struggle with Action/Adventure! Amazing that you're halfway through with such a tough genre.

I have no superpowers, I assure you. I've been writing professionally for over a dozen years, often under very tight deadlines, so I just write very fast. It doesn't always mean I write well. Wink

mrjaywilson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrjaywilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Originally posted by mrjaywilson mrjaywilson wrote:

You can't be blamed for the power of Cupcake Wars. It's like Star Wars...but with frosting. I mean, come on.

I'm finished. I'll probably write other stories later this week, but I fell in love with my first shot somehow. I need someone to read it and say it's horrible.

I know, I love cupcake wars. And Star Wars. They need a star wars cupcake wars episode. I might die. LOL

Normally, I'm right there with you. Now that I'm confronted with comedy, I find I'm taking more time to soak it in rather than jumping right in with 3 or 4 stories by the end of the day. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic