NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to write analeptic episode in screenplay?? ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to write analeptic episode in screenplay?? ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ameliaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to write analeptic episode in screenplay?? ?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 2:52am

Hello, 

I am wondering if there is a particualr way fo formattign this: 

I want to have a flacshback moment, but like perhaps just the voice, or a short faded glance at the character who preivosuly said the line. 
In a moment of realisation the protagonist is now re-hearing this line, and the audience see and hear the frame from earlier. 

Is there a particualr way I phrase this or format it in a screenplay? 

I really hope I explained myself well. Big smile 

advice please? 
(: 

thank you 

BenWoodvine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenWoodvine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:25pm
Simplest way if you aren't actually flashing back visually is to have the lines from before repeated as dialogue but this time you'd add a parenthesis after the character name of (V.O.) meaning their voice is heard but they aren't seen. 

e.g. 

MARY (V.O.)
I'll always love you.

If you want to change the visual to a scene from earlier, this is done through the transition and scene heading. 

e.g.

FADE TO: [this should be on the right hand side]

INT. THE WEDDING CHAPEL - FLASHBACK
Mary and John are getting married.

MARY
I'll always love you.

Hope this helps :)
ameliaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ameliaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:25pm
AAH!! This is brilliant! Exactly what I wanted to know. 
Interesting. I did not think of doing that haha. 
Thank you so much Ben!! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenWoodvine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 4:14am
No worries, glad all the money I spent on Screenplay writing books is coming to some use!
ameliaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ameliaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:36am
oooh which books?? 
or which would you recommend? Big smile 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenWoodvine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:14pm
There's a few good ones by Syd Field that cover the structure and formatting of screenplays. I like the simplicity of Save The Cat as it helped me in the early days. 

After those, I'd say the best books to help get better at screenplay writing are actual screenplays which are sold in book form on amazon/ebay. That way you can see the films/shows you love in script form and see how they did things.

Some writers share their scripts freely online too, Rian Johnson (writer of Brick and Knives Out) has some of his screenplays online for free for example.

ameliaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ameliaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:33pm

Thanks again!! 

MattyG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:26pm
During awards season every year, the studios will release the screenplay PDFs of "contenders" for voter consideration. Sites like Indiewire will usually get their hands on it and share them freely.
ameliaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ameliaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:39pm

Ah, I had not heard of Indiewire. Thanks 
cheers mate 

Smile 

Post Reply Post Reply