NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How To Post Your Story On The Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (16) Thanks(16)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How To Post Your Story On The Forum
    Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 1:26pm
Do NOT post your story until you receive an official confirmation from NYCM! 

For those of you who would like detailed instructions on how to post your story to the forum, here you go!If any veterans see errors in the process I wrote/have additional tips to add, please do! **This is an updated post from previous challenges. If anyone would like to look at the old thread and see follow-up comments/suggestions/questions, click here

First off, here are NYC Midnight's instructions on posting your story to the forum: http://forums.nycmidnight.com/important-tips-for-using-the-review-forum_topic7709.html

Now, here step-by-step instructions: (Be sure to wait until AFTER you receive the confirmation email from NYC Midnight to post your story)

1) Publish your story to a third party site (blog, Tumblr, etc.). If you don't have a site to post it to then use Google Docs. Google Docs will give you a shareable link to use (be sure to alter your privacy options so people can "view"). 

2) Log-in to NYC Midnight Forum

3) Click on "Creative Writing Corner" 

4) At the top, you'll see a "Sub Forum" with the title "Flash Fiction Challenge 2017 Review" (or something similar). Click on it and go into that part of the forum.

5) Click on "Post A New Topic". This will be a button under the title of the forum at the top

6) Subject: Round #, Group #, Genre, "Title of Story"...Ex: R1, Grp 43, Drama, "The Blue Divide" 

7) Don't worry about a message icon unless you want one.

8) Message: Do NOT copy and paste your story here. Copy and paste the LINK to the story. Some people don't get this and they get ignored/told to delete it. This is usually what my message section looks like: 

"Title of Story" (see below)
Synopsis
Group #, Prompts 
I usually add a little message that thanks people in advance for reading, and I'll be sure to return the favor. I might also add a line about my experience writing the story/how I feel about it/etc. I try not to post any spoilers. I want people to read it without knowing too much about the plot. 

*Title of Story: This is where I link my story. All you have to do is: 
1) Copy the URL from your website/blog with your story. 
2) In the Message, type out the title of your story and highlight it. 
3) Above the Font Bar at the top, there is a Globe with a chain link. Click on it. 
4) Paste the URL in "Address". Be sure to delete the extra "http://". 
5) Press "Preview" to make sure the link worked. 
6) Click ok! 

**If you can't get the hyperlink to work, don't worry. You can just copy and paste the web address straight into the message box Smile

9) Once you're satisfied with the appearance of everything, go to bottom and click, "Post New Topic". 

10) DONE! 

It might sound more complicated than it is, but it's not so bad. And if you get stuck, just ask! Someone on the forum, including myself, is always willing to help! 

A couple of useful tips I've figured out on the forum: 

1) If you want a lot of people to read/critique your story, then you need to read/critique a lot in return. It's a two way street. You can't expect to post your story and get a ton of feedback without returning the favor/being proactive.

2) Post the link to your story's thread on the forum in your "Signature". That way people don't have to hunt your thread down to read/leave a comment. You can do this by going into your Member Control Panel at the top of the page. Click on "Edit Profile", and scroll down to "Signature". Either paste your link directly there, or use one of the "BBCodes" to make it look pretty/easy to access. 

Hope all of that helps. 

If you need additional assistance, feel free to send me a private message. Smile Good luck, everyone! 

Edited by jenspenden - 19 Jul 2017 at 12:01pm
Sponsored Links

GinaG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GinaG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 1:55pm
Also - (and correct me if I'm wrong, please) -

My understanding is that posting your story to a blog or website counts as first publication, which may limit which journals, etc. you can submit said story to.
A password protected blog entry or a Google doc keeps you safe from this. 

Verification, anyone?
I know I read something about this on the forum last year, but no idea where.
yttrus View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yttrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 2:17pm
It depends on the publication. Some see only an exchange of payment and subsequent publication (anthology, online listing, etc.) as first rights use. Others count any appearance of a piece where potential readers can look as first rights.

In either case, using password protection should be okay :)
etragedy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etragedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 3:19pm
Are these forums publicly visible or only visible to nycmidnight participants?

jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by etragedy etragedy wrote:

The "Creative Corner" stuff is public. The sub forums where we post our stories are only available to competitors. 
christinalynne1227 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christinalynne1227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 3:26pm
Just got my submission confirmation email about 20 minutes ago!  Can't wait to upload my story once I get home and get some good feedback. Smile
etragedy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etragedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by jenspenden jenspenden wrote:

Originally posted by etragedy etragedy wrote:

The "Creative Corner" stuff is public. The sub forums where we post our stories are only available to competitors. 

Thanks!
Norah Deay View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norah Deay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 2:23am
I've just spent ages working out how to post the link to my story without publishing the page. I've done it finally but now there's a problem with the link icon here. I'll see if a different browser will work in the morning at work.
Group 21 Horror/a reality show/drug addict
Fame and Misfortune
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 8:17pm
Very helpful how-to guide! Speaking for all newbies, thank you!!
etragedy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etragedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 1:28pm
So Liz (ejsmith3130) has asked me to post my story. I'm willing to do that as long as it's viewable only to other participants here. But I am having a TON of trouble doing this. I have an old Livejournal account, but when I copy paste it there from Word, it blows away all the formatting. Even if I save it as an XML or HTML document and copy paste. Then I had reformatted the thing and when I went to preview it, all the inserted lines and spaces were gone AGAIN. ALSO, I don't think if I set my journal entry to 'private' or even 'friends only' there, it will be visible when you click on the link (will it?).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic