NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Random is Random?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eggcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Random is Random?
    Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 2:42pm
So I was just wondering how the genre's were picked. Is it litereally drawn out of a hat? Are there so many of each in there?

It seemed like there was a lot of Drama this time around, but there never seems to be more than one political satire each time.

Just curious.

Oh! And can you get the same genre twice in the same competition?
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Eggcorn Eggcorn wrote:

So I was just wondering how the genre's were picked. Is it litereally drawn out of a hat? Are there so many of each in there?

It seemed like there was a lot of Drama this time around, but there never seems to be more than one political satire each time.

Just curious.

Oh! And can you get the same genre twice in the same competition?

There's always drama around here.  BWHOA!  Thanks, folks, I'll be here all week!

JoeK

PS. No idea how genres are picked, and I've never done a comprehensive analysis on it. Personally, I've had 12 draws over the years, distributed thusly:

Drama: 6
Fantasy: 2
Romance:1
Rom-Com: 1
Comedy: 1
Sci-Fi: 1

Just from memory, I recall four various final challenges as being romance (twice), sci-fi, and fantasy. (You can look through past contest listings and compile the stats, if you were so inclined...)

Also, feel free to ask the NYCMMM folks over on Q&A, I'd be curious to see what they'd say (if anything).

JoeK
==============================================
Slow down. In attempting to do everything at once, you're missing it all.
londongirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 4:10pm
And yes, you can get the same genre more than once - possibly when the groups are mixed around in Round 2, but definitely in the final, as everyone does the same assignment and and least some of the finalists are likely to have done that genre before. I had fantasy twice last year.

No idea how they are assigned, though.
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 2:33am

I'm happy they seem to be getting a little creative again in their assignments. For a while it seemed like they just used the same prompts redistributed over and over spread over a few contests;
 trunk of a car, ghost story, flashlight,        trunk of a car, sci fi, shovel,     

school locker, historical fiction, shovel,   etc.

Edited by topangarose - 21 Sep 2010 at 2:33am
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 9:20am
Group 5 got a shovel, though it was a snow shovel this time...

JoeK
Slow down. In attempting to do everything at once, you're missing it all.
jmoormann View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmoormann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 9:25am
Originally posted by sutekh137 sutekh137 wrote:

Group 5 got a shovel, though it was a snow shovel this time...

JoeK

The most romantic kind of shovel!
nickjury View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickjury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 10:50am
http://www.gkbledsoe.com/articles/process/writing_prompt_generator.html

the secret is revealed! :0 :)
2011 Short Story comp
http://forums.nycmidnight.com/heat-12-scifi-commuting-a-better-yesterday_topic4599.htmlsrcid=0B3uV4EOh37kQNzZlNDkwMDItNjY4Yy00YWQxLWI3YmItNjg4NjRlNmU5ZTEy&hl=en&authkey=CK-5vLEB
Eggcorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eggcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by nickjury nickjury wrote:

http://www.gkbledsoe.com/articles/process/writing_prompt_generator.html

the secret is revealed! :0 :)

lol ooo fun.

I got a candy store and a goldfish!
londongirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 1:43pm
Except that my assignment really wasn't random this time - wedding and shaving cream? Not random at all!
Eggcorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eggcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 2:45pm
That's true, but sometimes random can be like that. I guess there is to make the shaving cream random in the story? Interested to see how it turned out!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic