NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many pages is your manuscript?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rullawaykid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many pages is your manuscript?
    Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 7:41am
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone here has written a full novel manuscript and if so how many pages it is, especially if it's around the 60-70k word mark. 
Pages View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 3:52pm
I wrote a novel that's about 500 pages, or 119,000 words. It's weighty, yeah, but not too bad for sci-fi.
Silverlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Silverlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 1:32am
I have written two novels, both sadly unpublished.  The first is about 120,000 words and 411 pages.  The second is about 80,000 words and 271 pages.  They are both in standard manuscript format (12-point Times New Roman font, double-spaced).
"The third is the maker's drink, no bottom limit to quality guaranteed, and no top specified."
-- Silverlock by John Myers Myers
KJZen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KJZen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:35am
This might be useful  

It calculates how many manuscript pages turn into a book, then compares to others in your genre. 
Rullawaykid View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rullawaykid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 5:49am
Thank you all! 

Amazed at your wordiness - first draft of this novel was only 43,000 LOL

I've got 60k now but only 90 pages, but I think it's because I haven't double spaced it. 
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 9:45am
My work in progress sits at 30,000 words and 114 pages in a google doc. It's 12pt TNR and double spaced.
Silverlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Silverlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Rullawaykid Rullawaykid wrote:

Thank you all! 

Amazed at your wordiness - first draft of this novel was only 43,000 LOL

I've got 60k now but only 90 pages, but I think it's because I haven't double spaced it. 

Have you settled on a genre/audience for this?  In terms of the market, 60,000 words is about right for middle school fiction, and edges into the shorter end of young adult.  Of course, you might prefer to just write it the way you want it and then worry about that sort of thing.
"The third is the maker's drink, no bottom limit to quality guaranteed, and no top specified."
-- Silverlock by John Myers Myers
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 10:56pm
My first book was a labor of love/hate that has never finished, though now just editing is left to do. The writing of which started way, way back. Many other things started and finished in the interim all the while constantly kicking myself for not working on it. This is its year. I have made a New Years res that I will finish it, sigh - I am a bit of a perfectionist in its writing.
It was 500 pages, but a lot of that was just run on sentences... And I was pantsing after the first chapter - never a good idea, but it was such a good idea, haha - it took me till last year to finally find an ending where I did not kill everyone involved. I have pared it down to 400 and will try and get it published for real, failing that I will self-publish to a limited extent. 

Did a word count. Looks like it is almost 260,000.

Edited by Suave - 02 Mar 2023 at 10:48pm
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 1:13pm
Formatted for a 6x9 page 388 pages at 134,021 words.  I want to take that down to 130,000; it started at 155,000.

Problem is there's another, dependent novel that has to be finished before I can call this done because they're related, and I've been busy.  Once I'm happy with both of them (which will never happen) I'll print one copy of each, bind them, put them in one of my seven bookshelves, then move on to other things.
This sig intentionally blank
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 3:28pm
One of my self-pub novels is about 60k (action/adventure, litrpg). The actual page count was a little shy of 300 pages, but I had some images and formatting that added extra pages. The last draft of my current project was about 130k (and only 75% of the way done), so I scrapped it to redo as it was clearly too long for trad pub. Current draft is at a comfy 35k and aiming to finish at 120k to 130k, about 430 pages.

I must say, I'm a BIG fan of the new self-pub trend toward 150k or even 180k novels, especially in fantasy or fantasy romance. I prefer writing that length, so I view that as a happy alternative if my trad pub goals don't pan out :)

Edited by taaaylor - 02 Mar 2023 at 3:28pm
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>