NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many of you write novels?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many of you write novels?
    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:07pm
I'm curious considering the nature of the NYCM contests err on the shorter side, how many people here are actually engaged writing longer fiction?
Sponsored Links

Amanda71 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:35pm
I am in the beginning stages of one - it is actually adapted from a short story I wrote for uni. It's different because I think restricted word limits help me tighten my work and my novel needs to have that. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by NKurt NKurt wrote:

I'm curious considering the nature of the NYCM contests err on the shorter side, how many people here are actually engaged writing longer fiction?

Many of us do, as well as screenplays.  I enter these contest
more for the forums than hoping to win, haha.  People
actually read my stuff here and comment about it - it is nice
having someone read it. Usually more people read one of my
stories here than would if I were to self-publish a book.  A book is a long
slough of loneliness writing - though I love the outcome.

Edited by Suave - 03 Oct 2019 at 10:21am
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 11:18pm
Less than I used to as I've gotten into short fiction and the turnaround/instant gratification (both in terms of editor response and remuneration has been higher.) I find I do better with external deadline pressure and anthology calls, submission periods, and contests provide it. I'll get back to book-length, I'm sure. Aleksandra from R1 here has several started ideas. Winter may be more free time since harvest is the peak of our work year at my day job.
FFC R1 GR40: Iconoclast
FFC R2 G40: Void Deck
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 11:32pm
I love writing novels! It feels like my calling in life. If only I could find an agent! Someday! Meanwhile, my books are self-published--just search for "Meg Kimball". I never get any sales. Sales would be nice. Oh well. It doesn't get me down too much! Shocked
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 6:06am
I’m working on it. Currently have a 55k word draft of the first installment of a fantasy, likely YA trilogy. Aiming to round out the remaining 20-30k it needs by the end of the year and then polish it up next year and see what happens!
FFC#2 - You Make Your Own Luck
Micro#1 - One More Day
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 7:54am
I am currently expanding my Short Story 2018 piece! It's a middle grade fantasy at about 40,000 words. :)
MaestroQareen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaestroQareen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 8:02am
I’ve been able to jump back into working on my main novel series after a long hiaitus and made more progress than over the last few years. Seeing a renewed interest in the fantasy genre thanks to the last few years of successful film franchises and television series, I feel inspired to finish my primary project. 

A side novel idea I’ve been playing with, born from a short fiction I composed for a similar contest will be the focus next year as I flesh out its details since the setting will be more urban fantasy/science fiction. 
louciferish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote louciferish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 9:56am
I have one completed manuscript and a couple additional novel ideas, but it's not a priority for me at the moment.

I also write fanfiction, and a few of the stories I've published there have been novel-length (70k+) though I'm not one of those people who will write a 600,000 word epic.
FF19, R1 G124, Everybody Wants to Rule the World (12pts)
R2, G124, Nothing Good
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 10:02am
Originally posted by louciferish louciferish wrote:

I also write fanfiction, and a few of the stories I've published there have been novel-length (70k+) though I'm not one of those people who will write a 600,000 word epic.

Same. I've written 10-12 over the years that are 50-100k, but it took me two and a half years to hit that 100k! I don't know how they keep it going for that long. 
FFC#2 - You Make Your Own Luck
Micro#1 - One More Day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic