NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many of the alotted 24 hours did you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepwriting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 10:38am
Around 5 hours writing, and collectively maybe 1-2 for editing (Once I had a bare bones draft I iterated in little bursts throughout the day, so it’s hard to give an exact count.) 

Edited by sleepwriting - 17 Oct 2021 at 10:44am
Sparker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 10:43am
Originally posted by C.C. C.C. wrote:

Is there a way to delete one of our forum replies? (I initially neglected to quote the comment/s I was replying to).

Fret not. 

Workarounds: 
- Edit your comment and replace your text with something wickedly clever, or failing that, something like “oops” or “deleted comment, reposted below.”  
- Edit your comment to add quoted text (copy and paste with the HTML coding). 
Talia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 10:52am
I tend to like spending as much time as I have available for nycm weekends. For me the time is from 9pm-9pm. On Friday I was so exhausted and not feeling that great, so it was a feat to be able to get the prompt. On Saturday I had to work a bit, but I managed to get a draft done in about an hour then do a couple beta swaps before work. Work ended a little after 3, so I had about five more hours for working on it and swapping stories with friends.

CLRosser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLRosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:05pm
For the microfiction, I feel like spend most of my daytime hours on it in one way or another.  I'm on EST, so I stay up until the prompts come out and then go to bed thinking on how to pull them together.  The next day I'll write my sh*tty first draft, just getting my idea down.  It's usually at least twice the word count :/ The rest of the time is editing down words, polishing the story and doing beta swaps.  At some point I'll step away, either from eye strain or pure frustration, before spending the last few hours reading over it 10+ more times and agonizing on which 10 words I can sacrifice to get at the word limit.  This was the first time I resubmitted because of a late night beta read that really had some great ideas of making the story flow better.  Then I triple check my email to ensure I got the submission verification and join the post sub forum for a drink LOL
CLRosser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLRosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Sparker Sparker wrote:

I’ve realised as a beta reader that there are basically two categories of processes - some people process externally and some process internally.  I call it Vomiters vs. Poopers.  My husband is a vomiter.  He barfs up a sticky mess of words and them plays with it til it comes together.  I’m a pooper.  My sh*t comes out digested and formed, and then I polish it up until submission time.  The first time beta reading for vomiters I admit was pretty horrifying, but I’ve learned a lot from working with them.  They’ve made me a better writer and editor. 

This is an interesting concept and now I'm trying to figure out which one I am lol  I tend to write a sh*tty first draft just to get my story out which makes me think I'm a vomiter.  But I polish it up a bit before putting into beta which makes me lean towards pooper LOL  maybe they should teach this in English Lit classes lol
Paul Bee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:13pm
I stopped editing/caring at about 9pm.
250 round 1

https://forums.nycmidnight.com
/topic50789_post534861.html#534861

250 R2

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r2-gr-21-drama-losing-keys-vest_topic51497.html
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:31pm

All in, about +/- 1 hour. I woke up at 3:30am and looked at the prompts. WTFed into my pillow for a few minutes before going back to sleep. Spent most of the day studiously ignoring the whole stupid thing.

At about 5pm I spent 1/2 hour writing a draft then lobbed it at Team Beta. Then once I got it back, spent about 1/2 hour editing & subbed. About an hour later another beta had a brilliant comment, so did a 3 minute revision to the end and resubbed. 

Then washed my hands of the whole thing, had another glass of wine, and went to bed.

I don't dare reread it, at least until posting time...

Ekd39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ekd39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:13pm
I stayed up to see the assignment. Group 20 Historical Fiction.. kicked my butt. 
Then I slept on it and my fiancé laughed at me all morning (it was tough) while I came up with a concept. Then we went grocery shopping and I sat down to edit for several hours with fresher eyes. I ended up submitting it with 45 minutes to spare. So it was kind of an all day thing but sitting in front of my computer was only, like, 4 or 5 hours. 
My daughter and I have been "practicing" for a couple weeks. She would make up assignments for me and I would write something and she'd tear it apart... she is my most merciless critic.
Historical Fiction is probably my least comfortable genre.... that added so.e anxiety to my process for sure. However, I learned some stuff trying to make sure my story was historically accurate. So that was pretty cool.
Ladynirvana View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladynirvana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 3:25pm
I wrote mine in 15 mins. 
Researched for about 20 mins beforehand (historical fiction)
And then spent probably an hour total tweaking and editing 
Brightwell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brightwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 3:31pm
Idea formulation: 45min
First draft: 1.5hr
Lying in bed not being able to sleep because my mind was finding more ways to eliminate words: 1hr
Refining and tweaking: 2hr scattered across the day with final edits submitted in the last minute.

The first thing I did after receiving my assignment was go for a walk in the night in the woods. I find sitting at a computer rather stifling for creative development. The best ideas come when I'm on my feet and moving around, especially outdoors or somewhere private and spacious. It took me about 45min of walking to arrange my idea, everything I wanted to happen, some of the dialog, and the ending. And I did not start writing until I knew that my ideas could fit into 250 words. Then I wrote for about 1.5hrs before going to bed. I watched the word count very closely and had checkpoints along the way. ie. I should be at this point in the story by about word 125, etc. And so I would be trimming extensively as I went so that by the time I started going over 250, I was very near the end. I think the highest word count I ever got to was 290.
I spent at least another two hours tweaking and refining, and stealing words from the beginning and middle to give myself a bigger budget for a more satisfying ending.

It was a lot of fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>