NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many of the alotted 24 hours did you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many of the alotted 24 hours did you use?
    Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:38am
How many hours did you dedicate to this effort?

I feel like the slowest girl in class...the one who tends to miss recess because she's not done with her assignments. 250 words is so much more challenging than I'd anticipated! This is my first time participating in the challenge and I really had to stretch. 

I haven't seen any posts by Group 11 writers yet but am excited to learn how others handled my assignment. Since 'Romantic Comedy' is entirely outside my wheelhouse, I am preparing to get shredded! 🤪

Edited by C.C. - 17 Oct 2021 at 8:39am
Hanley! View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanley! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:48am
I spent about 4 hours writing and editing, maybe almost 5. Writing 250 words doesn't take long when you have 1,000 to work with, but when they're such a scarce commodity it becomes a lot more difficult. 

The wheels were spinning in the back of my head for a few hours before I started though, so in a way I used almost the entire day. I'm not someone who ever winds up submitting my stories early. For competitions that last the entire weekend, I usually don't even start typing until Sunday. Saturday is spent just formulating an idea and putting together the basic story structure. 
jasondenys View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasondenys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:56am
About two hours. Not as long as I would have liked!
Christobelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christobelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 9:03am
I started around midnight last night and went to bed around 4am. I then spent an hour or two on it this morning/early arvo doing some tweaks and changing things up a bit. So all up around 5-6 hours I'd say.
swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 9:04am
I had a really busy day yesterday so I didn't get to spend as much time on it as I liked. Woke up, read the prompts then spent the day thinking about it and planning the story in my head off and on while I did my other stuff. Sat down to write it at 8:30, submitted about 1:30 (my time) Then two hours of "Did I cut the right bits, should I go back to it" mental torture. So five hours properly writing, about 15 hours faffing about.

C.C. View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 9:11am
I can totally relate to your approach. Since the big work is usually done in my head at least a day before I begin typing, having just 24 hrs shook me a bit. My first draft was ~1,200 words and it took me hours to pare it down. 

BTW: good luck, @Hanley!
C.C. View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 9:13am
Wow, you're so efficient! Clap
C.C. View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 9:15am
Originally posted by jasondenys jasondenys wrote:

About two hours. Not as long as I would have liked!

Wow, you're so efficient! Clap
C.C. View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Hanley! Hanley! wrote:

I spent about 4 hours writing and editing, maybe almost 5. Writing 250 words doesn't take long when you have 1,000 to work with, but when they're such a scarce commodity it becomes a lot more difficult. 

The wheels were spinning in the back of my head for a few hours before I started though, so in a way I used almost the entire day. I'm not someone who ever winds up submitting my stories early. For competitions that last the entire weekend, I usually don't even start typing until Sunday. Saturday is spent just formulating an idea and putting together the basic story structure. 

I can totally relate to your approach. Since the big work is usually done in my head at least a day before I begin typing, having just 24 hrs shook me a bit. My first draft was ~1,200 words and it took me hours to pare it down. 

BTW: good luck, @Hanley!
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 9:17am
20 minutes. It's usually a lot more--like a few hours--but I'm sick and that's all my brain had to spare. I think it might be enough to squeak through to the next round :P
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>