NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is everyone feeling at the end of Round 2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by TheMarkCooper TheMarkCooper wrote:

Originally posted by Anansi Anansi wrote:

On the plus side I now know the full history of and differentiation between cable cars, street cars, gondola lifts chair lifts and trams, where they were all invented and where they still operate today.

Haha! I thought I was the only one. I once, briefly, included trainhopping in a story and spent the next four hours learning about hobos, tramps, and bums. Did you know that hobos have formed a union and have elections for their hobo king and queen?

I am so glad I am not alone on research tangents. 

Cooper

That's great! I wanted to make mine a historical as it fits. Researched the history of diving suits and development of inflatable lifeboats before deciding on 1910 as the perfect time. Named a main character after the inventor of the inflatable boat. Both boat and diver are only in the opening scene - four lines LOL hours of research! 
J_Fox View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J_Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 3:15pm
Not awesome. Was excited to get Crime Caper / Warehouse / A Bicycle. But I like my capers with a lot of rat-a-tat-tat dialogue and overlapping/narrated action. You know, like Ocean's 11 or The Italian Job. That stuff takes up A LOT of space in a screenplay. So I once again ended up with seven pages and had to whittle it down to five. Story still makes sense, but it certainly lost a certain je ne sais quoi.
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 5:43pm
Ok. I have to admit, I was disappointed by my 2 points for my 1st challenge. I just somehow thought, maybe be cause I actually finished something that more or less made sense, that it was better than it is. I had some great beta readers this round. I really like the story. I was relieved to have gotten pretty easy prompts. action/ad - desert- lunchbox. But for some reason, I am just exhausted. Maybe it's because I thought I would have gotten more points first round, and so I still feel defeated because I won't be advancing...? Not sure, but I'm wrung out. Thank God for Beta readers!!!!
Anansi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by TreeTheGreen TreeTheGreen wrote:

Originally posted by Anansi Anansi wrote:

Originally posted by TreeTheGreen TreeTheGreen wrote:

I learned one thing: I don't like writing political satire Cool

Try writing a political satire set in a cable car with a box of eggs!

But yeah I feel you. After the last 4 years Political Satire has lost its lustre. I went for a heavily laboured metaphor which probably doesn't qualify for political satire. 

It's more a crime caper then anything. 

On the plus side I now know the full history of and differentiation between cable cars, street cars, gondola lifts chair lifts and trams, where they were all invented and where they still operate today.

I did try writing a political satire in a cable car with a box of eggs (hi group mate) *cries in the corner* TongueDead

Dude for real though-- I'm kinda in the same boat as you in the differing-genre issue. Mine was more an action script (?) with political undertones. I really struggled with the "satire" part. It's definitely a stretch. I hope the judges let it slide.

And what type of cable car did you use? I didn't go too much into researching it, but I used the type of cable car lift thingy that goes in the air! 

Ahhh, yes I remember your intriguing log line from challenge one and meant to pay you a visit. Forgot. 

I'll make it up to you by visiting your action adventure-not-quit-satire in challenge 2.

What cable car did I use? What didn't I use? I found a location that has the arial and terrestrial kind. Gondolas and carriages. Trams and streetcars.

BASES COVERED.
Puddleofsunlight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Puddleofsunlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:06pm
Oh dear.  That was rough.  I was assigned Science Fiction which wasn’t my biggest fear...but for some reason couldn’t stay in genre.  I feel good sci-if is still a story about “people” (or aliens or robots equivalents), but in a future/alternate time/place.  The dialogue kept eating up the word count and besides the dates and some background action, it would be hard to tell it from today.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  

rickw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:09pm
Pretty shattered - first time I've done one of these NYCs, and the quirkiness of the required objects is proving a struggle!

Cookie Dough in the first challenge and a Wool Sweater in the second - I ended up throwing away my first script for round 2 when it felt the sweater connection was too flimsy! But it went much better when I started with the item and wrote the rest around it. 

I guess I have a slim chance of getting through after 5 points in the first round, but I reckon this script is better, so we'll see. It's been lots of fun anyway, and I've learned a few things! 

Looking forward to the short story challenge next weekend too!

PS - I see people are posting their screenplays on here - I'll have to work out how that works, I'm new around here! 

Edited by rickw - 16 Nov 2020 at 7:10pm
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by rickw rickw wrote:

PS - I see people are posting their screenplays on here - I'll have to work out how that works, I'm new around here! 

SSCh1 Best Ever Election Soundbite
SSCh2 Finding Alma
SSCh3G3 The Last Gift for Milena
efish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote efish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 1:03pm
Why do we do it to ourselves? Do we enjoy the pain? Maybe we're all.....Anyway, it's a fun pain and thoroughly addictive.

I noticed a bit of a plot hole in mine after submission.

It's really bloody difficult to create a story in 5 pages, so we all need to congratulate ourselves on even submitting anything.

Well done everyone.
Edward
plumpkin23 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plumpkin23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:10pm
I always feel a bit sick after closing up shop on another piece of writing. If I had my way, I'd edit until the end of time. Last time I felt like my screenplay was a bit ridiculous, and then I placed higher than expected (really, placing at all was unexpected). Tamping expectations down for this round.
MarBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:29pm
It was a really fun exercise. Even if I don't go any further, it was a great learning experience.

Edited by MarBee - 17 Nov 2020 at 8:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic