NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is everyone feeling at the end of Round 2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alyxbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:42am
I'm feeling okay.  The Historical Fiction didn't throw me as much as I thought it might have in the past, and luckily I felt like group 40's prompts went fairly well together! 

Now... what the judges say is a whole different matter. Dead
JCardello View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JCardello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

When I enjoy myself in a contest I always feel like I have been punched hard in the head, lol. I feel that way now.

I feel so beaten down, yet triumphant at the same time. Smile
Check out my CH3 screenplay A Ticket to Bliss
MattyG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:17pm
Feeling... NOT GREAT! Generally, when I'm writing, I under-write stories. Even shorts. This is the first time I've over-written, probably because I was assigned a Fairy Tale and was focusing far too much on world-building. So keeping the story to 5 pgs was a huge struggle. Every time I'd make a revision or rewrite a line, I'd get pushed back onto page 6, which meant cutting elsewhere. Over and over, hour after hour. Ugh!
awai View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote awai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

Fairly relaxed, if I’m honest. I got a decent first draft down early on and was just a case of editing a few times over the next 24 hours. Submitted with almost 7 hours to spare which meant, being on London time too, I got a nice early night in.

On a very very rare occasion, I was actually in the same position as you described! My first time ever to complete a first draft within 24 hours (albeit running at 7 page long - but that's good going as far as my first drafts go for 5 pages limits! ). Allowed my plentiful time to edit and make some changes etc. Submitted about 7 hours before deadly as well, London time also. Wink  All while tackling Historical Fiction Confused - a genre I initially dreaded, but once I found the era and period of history I wanted to focus on, I got a bit more comfortable with the writing..
Now whether my piece is any good, that's another story... TongueLOL
SSC R1C#2 : "THE PRICE WE REAP"
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:52pm
I enjoyed myself a lot more than I thought I would. The settings were so weird across the board in this round, it seemed, and I wasn't looking forward to learning enough about the operations of an engine room to make my action/adventure believable. 

So I made my prompts work for me and was actually surprised at how much I liked writing A/A. So many genres deal with tone and movement, and A/A is just nice and simple in that I don't need an antagonist with a surprise motivation or a particular feel beyond ACTION and ADVENTURE. Man vs. nature is enough!

I also had more betas this round after a few rounds without them (which showed in my lower scores) and got some amazing advice. So, overall, a net positive for me.
Short Screenplay Ch3: A Failure
Short Story R1: Just the Same
TreeTheGreen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TreeTheGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Anansi Anansi wrote:

Originally posted by TreeTheGreen TreeTheGreen wrote:

I learned one thing: I don't like writing political satire Cool

Try writing a political satire set in a cable car with a box of eggs!

But yeah I feel you. After the last 4 years Political Satire has lost its lustre. I went for a heavily laboured metaphor which probably doesn't qualify for political satire. 

It's more a crime caper then anything. 

On the plus side I now know the full history of and differentiation between cable cars, street cars, gondola lifts chair lifts and trams, where they were all invented and where they still operate today.

I did try writing a political satire in a cable car with a box of eggs (hi group mate) *cries in the corner* TongueDead

Dude for real though-- I'm kinda in the same boat as you in the differing-genre issue. Mine was more an action script (?) with political undertones. I really struggled with the "satire" part. It's definitely a stretch. I hope the judges let it slide.

And what type of cable car did you use? I didn't go too much into researching it, but I used the type of cable car lift thingy that goes in the air! 
SSC2020 CH2 | The Executioner

SSC2020 CH1 | The End of Us
Delilah Doe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Delilah Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:10pm
Great to read everyone's responses!

This was the first time I wrote a screenplay without ANY beta readers. I wanted to completely trust my own judgement and just go for it.

I hit on a Romance story idea I absolutely loved, but getting it to fit on 5 pages was a real risk- it probably needed about 10 pages at least.  

The judges are either going to love or hate it- the same way I felt about my previous horror script. I want to use NYC midnight to take risks and write stories bigger than I think I am capable of.

And also- is it just me, or does the standard of writing in the Screenplay Competition seem higher than flash fiction and short stories?  Maybe because of the technical aspect of a screenplay, it draws the kind of writer who really takes it seriously and is willing to put the time in.

Not sure, just a feeling I get!

Good luck everyone, 

Lila
TheMarkCooper View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMarkCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:19pm

On the plus side I now know the full history of and differentiation between cable cars, street cars, gondola lifts chair lifts and trams, where they were all invented and where they still operate today.

Haha! I thought I was the only one. I once, briefly, included trainhopping in a story and spent the next four hours learning about hobos, tramps, and bums. Did you know that hobos have formed a union and have elections for their hobo king and queen?

I am so glad I am not alone on research tangents. 

Cooper
ShScreenplayFairyTale/Rom Com
ShStory2021=Suspense
TheMarkCooper View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheMarkCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:26pm

I did try writing a political satire in a cable car with a box of eggs (hi group mate) *cries in the corner* TongueDead

As long as none of you had Baby Yoda sitting on the cable car eating the eggs, I'm sure you are fine.... 
ShScreenplayFairyTale/Rom Com
ShStory2021=Suspense
TreeTheGreen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TreeTheGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by TheMarkCooper TheMarkCooper wrote:

As long as none of you had Baby Yoda sitting on the cable car eating the eggs, I'm sure you are fine.... 

Haven't seen the Mandalorian season 2 but I know about that episode; and I'm not gonna lie, first thing the prompt reminded me was THAT Star
SSC2020 CH2 | The Executioner

SSC2020 CH1 | The End of Us
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic