NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is everyone feeling at the end of Round 2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:21am
Fairly relaxed, if I’m honest. I got a decent first draft down early on and was just a case of editing a few times over the next 24 hours. Submitted with almost 7 hours to spare which meant, being on London time too, I got a nice early night in.

Now on to my next writing challenge to be submitted by this Friday...
Screenplay Challenge 2020 Finalist.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist.
Jigu View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jigu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:57am
Welll... A bit out of my element, really - not because the Assignment #2 was overtly complex (it wasn't!), but because what I got is a bit of a blind spot for me right now. 

And, in all honesty, not in the best of places because of my performance on Assignment #1. Though I made it to the (low) top 15s, it's clear to me how writers whose first language isn't English might get a tougher road ahead.

Sure, it's on writers like me to up their game, but it kind of hurts to think some might look down on certain phrasal constructions and verbs when I usually think in my native language and try my best not to botch it in the process of writing it in English.

At any rate, let's see how things go. Judges might like my silly little airport romance. Or they might think it's derivative. Or maybe that's what the genre requires. Who knows?

Anyway, best of luck to everyone!

Edited by Jigu - 16 Nov 2020 at 8:31am
R1GR5 250Micro (The Man-In-Rags)
SSC CH2 G1 (Someone Special)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Paula Paula wrote:

I'm exhausted and on a caffeine diet today. Operating on London time means staying awake until 5am, literally pushing submissions until the very last minute. The good thing is, you can come up with some crazy/quirky last minute stuff. Or an unwanted typo, on a not so positive note.

I enjoyed fairy tale and love the story I picked, but made the terrible mistake of reviewing my last submission this morning and surprise surprise, I found something I desperately wish I could tweak now.

Masochist much, I know... :-))

This is why I never read my story after submitting, not until I get the NYCM feedback. It just makes me crazy.
Anansi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:33am
Originally posted by TreeTheGreen TreeTheGreen wrote:

I learned one thing: I don't like writing political satire Cool

Try writing a political satire set in a cable car with a box of eggs!

But yeah I feel you. After the last 4 years Political Satire has lost its lustre. I went for a heavily laboured metaphor which probably doesn't qualify for political satire. 

It's more a crime caper then anything. 

On the plus side I now know the full history of and differentiation between cable cars, street cars, gondola lifts chair lifts and trams, where they were all invented and where they still operate today.

Edited by Anansi - 16 Nov 2020 at 9:35am
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Paula Paula wrote:

I enjoyed fairy tale and love the story I picked, but made the terrible mistake of reviewing my last submission this morning and surprise surprise, I found something I desperately wish I could tweak now.

SAME, and I had fairy tale too, so I'm just gonna assume some elves or gremlins were in there messing with our stuff. LOL
Jtowery View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jtowery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Anansi Anansi wrote:

Oh, I feel this. And I had political satire in a water park with a seagull.
Anansi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Anansi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Jtowery Jtowery wrote:

Oh come now, at least those are thematically related! 

Still. I'm coming to you. I want to read all the dodgy not quite political satire I can.
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:11am

Originally posted by Jtowery Jtowery wrote:

Oh come now, at least those are thematically related! 

Still. I'm coming to you. I want to read all the dodgy not quite political satire I can.

Pol-sat in a recording studio with a pet carrier, in challenge 1. I seem to be in a 'non-visual locations' group 😂 (we just got 'mineshaft' for ch2).

SSCh1 Best Ever Election Soundbite
SSCh2 Finding Alma
SSCh3G3 The Last Gift for Milena
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:14am
Feeling..... better than yesterday. Tired. Had two more ideas today for stories I could have written but didn't. Wrote my entry in a 5-hour burst, last night, starting at about 11pm with pencil and paper, but... we'll see. Setting a film in a mineshaft didn't really trigger any cool visuals, to start with, but.... yeah. It's done. Now I'm at the 'I wanna read some scripts' stage and can't wait for Wednesday.
SSCh1 Best Ever Election Soundbite
SSCh2 Finding Alma
SSCh3G3 The Last Gift for Milena
JCardello View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCardello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:30am
I completely changed my ending with an hour left on the clock. I'm hoping my house of cards stays standing as well :)
Check out my CH3 screenplay A Ticket to Bliss
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic